Secure-Ex sheath concerns?

So I'm considering getting the OSS, and while I like the Secure-Ex sheath, my main concern with the knife is that because it has an edge on both sides, you can't push the spine of the blade against the sheath to prevent the blade from dulling. Is this a problem with the OSS? Or can I draw it from the sheath normally without worrying about the blade dulling?

Maybe but I'd buy a leather or kydex sheath with it.

I've had no issues with a Carbon V SRK in a Secure-ex sheath though. The issue may be just on newer sheaths.

Maybe but I'd buy a leather or kydex sheath with it.

I've had no issues with a Carbon V SRK in a Secure-ex sheath though. The issue may be just on newer sheaths.

Do you have to really press the spine against the sheath with your SRK, or can you just pull it out without really thinking about it? Cause maybe all the stories I've heard about the Secure-Ex sheaths dulling knives were only valid with the older sheaths.

No, I have a trail master made very recently and the secure ex dulls like crazy.

Have a brand new gi tanto with secure. Bought it to practice stripping and modding before touching my tglb. Securex dulls it like fuck. I can put a razor edge on it and after sheathing and drawing it once carefully it won't slice paper and I can see the flat spots on the edge.

Dulling appear to happen when it's sat in the sheath as it was inserted and drawn with spine pushed against back of sheath.

Yet I have a recon scout and the securex sheath gave me no issues and retained the knife very well.

I think it's a quality control issue on the sheaths when they are moulded. Or an issue with some knives coming out with wider flats than the sheaths can fit without edge rub. Gonna use a hacksaw blade to make more room in the edge side of the gi tanto Securex sheath. See if it helps any.

Have a brand new gi tanto with secure. Bought it to practice stripping and modding before touching my tglb. Securex dulls it like fuck. I can put a razor edge on it and after sheathing and drawing it once carefully it won't slice paper and I can see the flat spots on the edge.

Dulling appear to happen when it's sat in the sheath as it was inserted and drawn with spine pushed against back of sheath.

Yet I have a recon scout and the securex sheath gave me no issues and retained the knife very well.

I think it's a quality control issue on the sheaths when they are moulded. Or an issue with some knives coming out with wider flats than the sheaths can fit without edge rub. Gonna use a hacksaw blade to make more room in the edge side of the gi tanto Securex sheath. See if it helps any.

Okay, thanks for the info. If it is the type of knife that is the deciding factor in whether the sheath will dull the blade or not, I'm hoping the OSS isn't one of the knives that dulls. It would be an especially huge pain if that were the case because both sides of the blade have an edge.

Mine does dull it.

20150824_102039_zpsnmqrlbmd.jpg

I modified my OSS' sheath to avoid it, but it was hard to achieve.

IMG_20160328_085319_432_zpssp2uxn2u.jpg

Same with the Hissatsu (CRKT), Aqua Salt (Spyderco) and other brands I've had. I hate most Secure-Ex, Kydex, Whatever-ex plasticky sheaths for that very same reason.

20150821_093939_zpsyb0egkia.jpg

Mine does dull it.

Same with the Hissatsu (CRKT), Aqua Salt (Spyderco) and other brands I've had. I hate most Secure-Ex, Kydex, Whatever-ex plasticky sheaths for that very same reason.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll keep this in mind.

it's too bad ColdSteel never came out with a clear response to this grave issue. They lost loads of sales on this one sadly. I have 5 secure-ex sheaths and only two of thoses do not dull my edge.

There clearly was a hard abrasive in their mixture, intentionnal or not, they should have adressed the issue and not deny it's existance like they did....

Mine does dull it.

How did you modify it? Pics or explanation either would be great for future use. Thank you Sir.

I just heated the final portion that encapsules the knife's guard and made it a bit wider. Then I pried open the sides of the sheath to enlarge the space the knife fit in, until it fill just tight enough so as not to fall if held downside, and placed a coin in between the two sheaths' halves.

Glued the coin, and now it works fine. Weird thing.

^gotcha, thanks for the info. appreciated.

For some of my C.S. F.B.'s I take the Secure-Ex sheaths and sand down the retention bumps that hold the knife in with a click. Sand a bit (doesn't take much, a few tries), check retention, resand a bit if needed. I like medium retention that is easily released by thumb with the spine angled so I don't swipe the cutting edge on the way out............... Or, I just replace the sheath with a Spec Ops Combat Master. You can take the liner out of the Combat master, warm it up in the oven at low temp, shove blade into liner, hold down with one oven glove on counter, your hand pressing down on liner with other glove. In about 10 second the liner is molded. Be aware that the liner shrinks a tiny bit in length when this is done.

Noticed few years ago, I'd put away my TM and Spike shaving sharp then can't even cut paper when pulled out. Personally been avoiding CS fixed blades until they fix the issue.

Back