Secure-Ex sheaths: Still on 2015 models?

It probably isn't news to anyone here that the CS "Secure-Ex" sheaths are made from a fiberglass filled plastic similar to Zytel and because of this they scratch and dull blades like crazy unlike kydex which contains no abrasive materials.

This topic has been discussed to death else-where and doesn't need to be rehashed, but what I'm wondering is, did Cold Steel ditch the secure-ex sheaths for their new 2015 models and go with a more kydex like material? Looking on their site or elsewhere doesn't really yield much since the sheaths aren't mentioned but they look slightly different and there is no mention of "secure-ex" anymore.

To me this seems like a great sign and shows that they are listening, but I wish they would say something about this so we could know for sure. The only reason I can think of is it may look bad to say anything because then people who didn't know/notice a change realize something is up and question why which would likely hurt sales on older models.

Has anyone purchased a 2015 fixed blade and noticed a change in material?

*Edit: I just saw that a lot of the 3V models do say they come with a secure-ex sheath so it looks like they kept it around. Maybe it isn't much of an issue and I'm just picky, my only experience with this sheath is on the GI-Tanto (which I love and would buy another in a heart-beat, amazing knife and great value), but I polished that knife and the sheath leaves scratches on flats of the blade as well as dulling the blade.

What does everyone else think on this topic?

Last edited:
I like having my knife come out of the sheath sharp. Secure-ex seems to kill my edges every time...

I have had no problem with the secure-ex sheath that came wth my 0-1 TM. But I have seen others' get scratched.
The secure-ex sheath is clearly a cost saving offering, and while it may be a reasonably good design it has gotten quie
a beating from users about dulling the edge. I don't use the secure-ex sheaths that came on my SM3 SRK and SM3 MH,
and chose to have aftermarket leather made up for them. The secure-ex is very modern and tactical looking, and frankly
I think looks ridiculous packaged witha vintage Loveless Fighter like the SM3 Black Bear Classic.

I too have had no problem with the secure-ex sheath that came wth my 0-1 TM but, I must be very careful not to dump it on the floor, if I inadvertently turn it wrong side down. It does not scratch the blade. My G.I. Tanto is so bloody tight that I don't dare insert the knife to the point it clicks in. Just to that almost click, holds it very securely. Oddly, tight as it is, it neither scratches nor dulls the knife. I bought my San Mai TM used/like new, and the seller indicated that he also had a leather sheath, if I preferred it to the secure-ex. I naturally took him up on his offer, so it arrived in a beautiful, old school Cold Steel leather sheath. I know that there are many who prefer newer materials because they don't hold moisture, let water drain, blah blah blah....but I'm not one of them. My SRK and MH are Carbon V and old enough that they came in factory CS leather.

Back