Securing a knot in paracord

I recently wanted to attach a paracord loop to a knife in a kydex sheath to use as a keychain. I needed one of the knots to hold and not slip. I coated it with clear nail polish and hoped that would hold it. It didn't. Any suggestion on what would hold it? Glue (what kind)? anything else? Thanks

Ahdunno what you're looking for in the way of aesthetics, but as a climber, I need to know a little about knots. A double or triple fisherman's knot is both pretty to look at, and secure with slippery material. A simple overhand knot might also prove useful.

Thanks for the response. Knots are really kool and the right knot would do away with the need for a substance to make the knot hold. Unfortunately, I don't know how to tie them. Hence, the need for another solution.

I recently wanted to attach a paracord loop to a knife in a kydex sheath to use as a keychain. I needed one of the knots to hold and not slip. I coated it with clear nail polish and hoped that would hold it. It didn't. Any suggestion on what would hold it? Glue (what kind)? anything else? Thanks
Hi
What knot are you using?
Add/Use a different knot ... something like a fisherman would use?
Use needle and thread and ... nah :)

I'm trying to tie the two ends of the cord together. I did start looking at Google videos on knots. I guess it might be a good thing to learn. I was hoping for a simple solution involving coating a simple knot with something so it won't slip.

I'm trying to tie the two ends of the cord together. I did start looking at Google videos on knots. I guess it might be a good thing to learn. I was hoping for a simple solution involving coating a simple knot with something so it won't slip.
classic fisherman's knot, just two overhand knots
fishermans_knot.jpg

I'm trying to tie the two ends of the cord together.

This is known as a "bend" i.e. https://www.animatedknots.com/bend-knots
The Double Fisherman's bend is quite simple and secure in a reasonably high friction line like paracord. Its only disadvantage is that it jams, so it can be very hard to untie after loading. If this is not a problem start with it. Yes, it is a good thing to learn.

What type of material are you using? I have found that some synthetic material won’t bind to itself and loosen

Here is how I do it. I use a secured Paracord loop to back up the straps on my edc travel bag.

I make a simple loop knot with both ends of paracord.
I then use a heat source to melt and set the knot. (I use a cigarette lighter)
I then use a good quality 2 part epoxy resin adhesive (similar to Loctite) and I coat the entire knot in it allowing it to saturate as much as possible. Allow it to cure for 24 hours and you are done.

The glue sets a to a hard shell and because the knot is already melted and set it is almost impossible to release.

I hope this was a help to you.

Thanks to all for your responses. I'll play with them and see how it goes.

I've usually found that simply melting the ends and then flattening them with the side of the lighter to form a "button" keeps a knot from slipping undone quite nicely.

Had the same thought. I've done this with a simple fob of paracord I've made for an Opinel of mine (drilled & fitted with a brass tube, for a lanyard). The bead or 'button' of melted paracord at the end has done a nice job of keeping the knot secured. I don't flatten the bead, but the tips are sort of mushroomed by melting; so that does the trick. :)

Melting and flattening is the quickest way to quickly secure a paracord knot, and it works decently well. But there are a lot of different companies making paracord, and some of the stuff is just awful, it wears quick and therefore can come unknotted easily. Extra strength can be added by flowing a bunch of liquid superglue into it. It's not to glue the cords together, it stiffens and strengthens the cord making it unlikely to work its way loose. For stuff that is going to be permanent and weight-bearing or hard use, I take a short piece of nano cord or heavy duty nylon thread (same stuff they sew backpacks with) and pierce through both working ends of the paracord. Wrap 3-5 whips around the working ends, pierce in a different place, and tie off. I've never had a whipped paracord knot fail.

I like a lanyard knot (aka diamond knot). Good looking and stays put. I don't usually flatten the melted ends. If the knot is tight enough, the buttons formed on the end by melting will not pull through. The knot itself is simple, but takes a few tries to get it right. Once you get it, they're simple and quick to do.

I would tie a knot as others said. Melting the ends together if needed works well too. I've thought about crimping pliers and the appropriate fasteners. Google small double cord crimp.

Last edited:
The instructables is a great spot for "do it yourself" knot tying and lanyard weaving photo or video tutorials.

I like to use a square knot as a very fast to tie knot that won't slip. When I cut and seal paracord I use a soldering iron with a flat tip.

I'll be playing with different knots (an art unto itself). As far as the glues, would Duco Cement, Gorilla Glue, or Crazy Glue do as well ? (Those are the ones I already have around the house.) Thanks again for all the suggestions.

I use a diamond knot on just about all my paracord terminations. Just about any knot you could ever want to learn is on youtube.

My go to knife lanyard is just a series of snake knots ending in a diamond knot.

Back