See if this catches your eye

Gollnick

Musical Director
Since I accidentally deleted the other pictures I wanted to show you tonight, I thought I might show you just one of the pictures from this evening's session.

bm49spl1VGA.JPG

Very nice! Gold screws and all:) The entire blade looks perfect, that shot really gives the best idea of the knifes beauty without having it in hand!

Lemme guess... A 49spl (although it doesn't look very mirror finished...) proto? Or is this one of the new 49s? Anyway, that's an awesome picture, Chuck. Keep 'em coming! :D

although it doesn't look very mirror finished

None of the 49s have a true mirror finish. They're just about one notch below mirror. There are several reasons for this but one is simply durability. A true mirror finish is exceptionally delicate. Going just one notch down you can gain a lot in surface durability.

But, the really big reason that the finish in this picture doesn't look as great as it really is that there's a defraction grating in front of the lens. That's where the explosion of cool colors comes from. You can get PhotoShop filters that do that sort of thing, but it always looks "artificial" to me. So, I do mine the old fashioned way.

Isn't that #6?

Hmmm lets see if all this time spent at the forum has expanded my knowledge.

From what has been discussed on the forum, Mr YODA would be correct to assume #6. But, he is, in fact, wrong. Why? Because not everything has been published.

This knife was in my studio (also known as the garage) getting photographed in preparation to go up for sale. So, I won't steal the owner's thunder by discussing details about it but rather just tell you that you'll find out more in the coming week or two.

Sorry, but it's not my knife and I probably shouldn't even have shown the picture. But, it's such a cool picture with the defraction and all that I really wanted to show it.

I finally decided it was the lighting technique you used, but my first impression was that the blade was of pattern welded steel.

Hehehe :)...it's #5.., and it's a beauty! Nice picture Chuck..., thanks for posting it!!!

That's so tough to get a good picture of.., and I've tried photographing #8 with nothing good at all yet except what Rick sent me. I'll learn :(.., and try to get some stuff up of the inside work on the channels also...

Obviously I suppose the blade-channels aren't so important in the total functionality of a these guys.., but boy I sure wish that bit-dynamics held up long enough to do all 25 like #8.., it really is something!!!~~~> Thanks Rick, Wes, Vance, et.al.!!!

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

M0+3!#"¤££@?* fø!¤%@¡ that's a great looking bali... You know, if I ever get that gawd damn collection permission, I AM gonna get one of those, and I'm gonna try to get one of each of the others in the 49 serie too. Just to catch up some of what I missed! :D Whoa, guess that includes some extra working for me. ;)

So if any of you are interesting in selling your 49spl (mint, of course), and not to a $100,000 price (quite a bit lower, actually), please contact me, and if I get that permit, we can talk some more, awrite? :)

That is simply beautiful...knife AND picture...

This may be a little off topic, but what kind of camera do you use, Chuck? I can't get anything even close to that kind of detail with my digital.

Simply incredible. Thanks for the pic Mr. Gollnick. Keep up the great work!!!

what kind of camera do you use, Chuck?

It is a Sony DSC-F707. It was a Christmas gift and it is very nice indeed.

My only complaint so far is that the smallest F-stop is 8 and so depth of focus suffers in macro mode.

I can't get anything even close to that kind of detail with my digital

The problem is probably less your camera and more your lighting. It's taken many hours of experimentation to start getting the 49 blade to start looking good for me.

I'm glad that you like the picture. It's a very nice knife and, as I say, it's going up for sale (not by me) shortly.

Originally posted by Gollnick
it's going up for sale (not by me) shortly.
I'M BUYING, I'M BUYING!!! (...perhaps, of course. ;)) Where will it be put up for sale?

Back