Seeking Mt Lion Calling Stories!

Hey Guys!

I posted three new videos, and a new story (O-19) to my Call-in story page...

http://rain-shadow.com/cougar_callin_stories.htm

I've been starting to learn to video edit, hopefully this year I'll get proficient enough to have my tutorial be in DVD format instead of audio, but these are a start!

There's 4 videos there amongst the stories now.

If anyone else has any call-in stories, PLEASE let me know! Thanks!

I was predator hunting the North side of the Catalina Mountain range north of Tucson, AZ. Decided on a shotgun over my normal rifle due to the dense brush and canyons. Was carrying the then new versamax with #4 Buck and a predator choke. It was new years day and I picked up a Mt. Lion license out of habit. I parked my vehicle and walked about a mile and started calling. Nothing. Walked another mile in and started calling again. Nothing. It was Archery Deer season and figured that the decrease in animal activity was because of the hunters around. I got to my last location and the sun was fast setting. I called for about 20 minutes and thought it was comical that two bucks came in to about 40m from me going about their business like the distress calls weren't even going on. Their activity was extremely abnormal and I have never seen the like since. So I figured why no? I put on some lion calls. The deer had an immediate response and moved away from the call. I got a good laugh and packed up and started walking back to the truck. I passed within 30m from the deer well within bow shot and got a good laugh at murphy messing around with me. I was starting up a ridge behind the deer about 25m from the top and a HUGE cat stood up and bounded over the opposite side. I racked a slug in and ran around the side to get a shot. There she was running away at a smidge over 100m.. I yelled at her and she stopped and looked back at me. For a second I had a good shot. My shotgun was already shouldered. It wasn't an ethical shot. I dropped it and gave her a good curse word for playing with me. It was a creepy walk through the canyons back to the truck in the dark. But overall everytime I see a cat I love just watching them. Wish she was on my wall but still the experience was worth it. :)

Back