seeking recommendations for budget kitchen knife

What is the least expensive alloy I can make a paring knife from? The application is normal kitchen usage but with frequent sharpening---monthly or maybe more often, if needed. Probably will be abused by the dishwashing machine and the usual poor care given most knives.

I wish I could use 0-1 but I don't think it will be able to resist corrosion and it's not particularly inexpensive.

Maybe I should be asking what is the minimum hardness I could get away with for a light-duty kitchen knife that will be sharpened religiously.

I realize this is a weird question on this forum where people are devoted to making the most amazing blades possible. Still, I'd appreciation your input.

440C is an excellent choice for Culinary steel, I use it for my paring, 5” or less utility knives. Works fine for all sizes. I have mine HTed to an RC hardness of 59-60 you can go to the knife making discussion forum if you want other opinions...,

AEB-L will probably be the cheapest stainless you can get away with HRc 60-61, though I'd bet it's not quite as stainproof as 440C. AEB-L should be able to produce fine grain and be easy to sharpen too.

Thanks for the input, guys. Had only heard of AEB-L in passing but you're right, it's fairly inexpensive.

Here's a little table of relative prices (link below). There's some non-stainless items there for reference and some that can't be hardened, like 316. But just for talking about prices, it shows the differences. But it's McMaster, so take it with a grain of salt. On Alpha Knife Supply, 440C is 0.50 $/in-in and AEB-L is 0.21 $/in-in.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YcJ4R0wjdlCnPWuerbjxqzo_lO6sVbWW/view?usp=sharing

I've made a couple of 01 paring knives. I wash (hand) and dry them after use and don't have much of a problem with corrosion.

The only knives that go in the dishwasher at my house are the table knives. Wife and kids are very good about it too.

Ric

440C is an excellent choice for Culinary steel, I use it for my paring, 5” or less utility knives. Works fine for all sizes. I have mine HTed to an RC hardness of 59-60 you can go to the knife making discussion forum if you want other opinions...,

This. 440C gets alot of hate because it's used in budget folders. I can tell you first hand that 440C is easily in the top 10 culinary steels. Very fine edge with good retention and toughness. If you can find a knife in 440C (not 440A or 440J) you will be well off.

Back