Selecting Stag on traditionals...

With some recent releases on stag handled knives, I really found myself struggling to make a decision...this had me thinking, what do you look for specifically when choosing stag and narrowing down your selection? Also, what categorically turns you away from choosing a particular handle?

I realize that selecting stag can be very personal, so this is really an opinion question...that being said would really love to hear your thought process and preferences when selecting stag...photos are always welcome to aid in your description :)

Last edited:
Good topic. For me a deal killer is mis-matched handles. Whether the stag is dark vs light, or smooth vs popcorn, they need to match pretty well for me to like a knife enough to buy it.
Lately I have found myself drawn to slabs that are dark in the center with the deep grooves, graduating towards whiter shades at the ends.
My recent Churchill and Bull Moose fit the bill for me.

39FFDD83-93C3-4704-B077-180B618BD895.jpeg A41AB113-9F1B-4E70-AD46-1199AA3837A8.jpeg

I like lots of grooves and matching color and pattern similar to the picture above, and would like to add that I require the stag to be the same thickness on each side.

Ratbert’s description and pics describe my preferences as well. To be honest though, Stag is not my first choice for a knife. I prefer jigged bone.

Good color range, not just yellow or white, left and right fairly well matched in size, some character too. Proper pocket knives of old had gnarly popcorn on the mark side, fairly smooth on the pile side.:) Hard to find that these days.

29K8Ahul.jpg

XSZA910l.jpg

44aeubAm.jpg
F9rlIC9m.jpg

7K2xvvfl.jpg

jZkLWqel.jpg

bQtmxYHl.jpg

Uneven thickness from side to side, and overly rotund are turnoffs.
Mismatched color or pattern doesn't bother me so much as I only see one side at a time, but I would rather both sides match reasonably well.

Like Squidman I prefer jigged bone. Or wood.
Ive only two stag knives, a Northwoods Gladiator and a 66 Calf Roper.
With recent offerings:

Same thickness
Matched texture
Similar coloring

Choose two:p

It's too bad PB broke the internet. The 2014 forum knife had lots of pictures, with plenty of commentary on the varied stag examples. Folks expressed their preferences, and there are definite differences on what people do or don't like.

Good topic. For me a deal killer is mis-matched handles. Whether the stag is dark vs light, or smooth vs popcorn, they need to match pretty well for me to like a knife enough to buy it.
Lately I have found myself drawn to slabs that are dark in the center with the deep grooves, graduating towards whiter shades at the ends.
My recent Churchill and Bull Moose fit the bill for me.

View attachment 831254 View attachment 831255
Great post and beautiful knives Ratbert, really like your thought process:thumbsup:. Assuming you mean by matching you that you are referring to thickness and coloration? In the past, when scanning through examples, it seems my eyes are immediately drawn to the texture with islands and peninsulas (popcorn), your post now has me thinking in different positive direction...thanks again for your comments.

I find fat stag a huge turnoff, and when it has been hafted down too much at the bolsters and so much white is exposed, that just makes me gag.

I like both popcorn and grooved stag, but not on the knife at the same time. The bark on stag is, IMO, what makes the knife. If too much of it is removed, then it's just like antler then.

007hunter 007hunter Yes, by matching covers, I look for both mark and pile sides to be roughly the same coloration, thickness and “texture-type”. If one side is white and the other yellow, I tend to move on to another. Might be a little silly, but I am picky about what I like and don’t like and while sometimes I can’t put my finger on it, I know it when I see it.
I was interested in reading A Arathol saying that back in the day, show sides were gnarly and pile sides smooth by design.
No doubt, with natural material handles, there is something for everyone’s taste.

007hunter 007hunter Yes, by matching covers, I look for both mark and pile sides to be roughly the same coloration, thickness and “texture-type”. If one side is white and the other yellow, I tend to move on to another. Might be a little silly, but I am picky about what I like and don’t like and while sometimes I can’t put my finger on it, I know it when I see it.
I was interested in reading A Arathol saying that back in the day, show sides were gnarly and pile sides smooth by design.
No doubt, with natural material handles, there is something for everyone’s taste.
I was also very interested in the comments from A Arathol ...I'm wondering if ease of shield install was the determining factor for gnarly vs. smooth sides or if it had something to do with single sided photos in sales literature.

My idea of nice stag is reflected in the images below. I don't like fat stag, which none of these have.
I think it's an art to be able to haft stag in a way that maximizes the natural beauty of the material. I understand it's becoming harder and harder to find nice stag, which surely doesn't make it any easier.
i01UfFJ.jpg

6aEARxR.jpg

D1l3DJ3.jpg

oH9kfhW.jpg

fihphXR.jpg

Old Engineer Old Engineer , Here's a pic of the other side, Harry.
qImWUWG.jpg

Last edited:
I have a real love/hate relationship with stag covers. To my eye when it's done right it is the most aesthetically pleasing cover material available but if not one of the worst. first I like gnarly stag much better than smooth. Coloration can be dark or light as long as both the pile and file sides have been matched well. A biggie for me is thickness of the covers. I hate to see a knife that has one cover thicker than the other and that most of the time is a deal breaker for me. The other thing are shields I think most of the time they distract from the beauty of the stag and it's rare to see one that is set properly.
Here are 2 examples IMO of great stag. The first is a Case Sodbuster recovered by Glennbad in a beautiful dark gnarly stag and the thickness of both pile and file sides is spot on.
The second is a S&M gifted to me by Mrknife in light gnarly American Elk and again with the thickness of both sides spot on. This one however does have a shield that was set right but does somewhat take away from those beautiful stag covers.
IMO these 2 knives are exceptional examples of stag covers and are absolutely beautiful and are also examples of what I would be looking for if purchasing a new knife in stag.

GCxyTzL.jpg

V6JzrGC.jpg

eDyBmfu.jpg

QrySQsl.jpg

UPkQ7FP.jpg

xcCzUSZ.jpg

I think some pictures are worth a lot of words .
I like Deep Grooves and lots of texture . Sides do not have to be matched for me but is preferred . A 92 and a 73

The Pile side of the 73 shows lots of texture and some Popcorn

These two 83's are both pretty good on the Mark side. One gnarly and one with deep grooves .

Same 83's on just turned to Pile side . Top & Bottom stayed the same . Bottom one has very thick covers and lost a lot of stag in the transition to the bolster .

A gift from @paulhilborn showing very nice popcorn with both covers fairly well matched . Really like this one .

I think this Twins BARLOW is pretty good on both sides .

I consider this to be my best matched Stag

Really deeps grooves plus a different color.

This is Stag but not very nice IMO

This very Fat Stag but not at all desirable to me . I just wanted the knife style.

Then again there is no Bad Stag . It is all a matter of taste .

Harry

My idea of nice stag is reflected in the images below. I don't like fat stag, which none of these have.
I think it's an art to be able to haft stag in a way that maximizes the natural beauty of the material. I understand it's becoming harder and harder to find nice stag, which surely doesn't make it any easier.
i01UfFJ.jpg

6aEARxR.jpg

D1l3DJ3.jpg

oH9kfhW.jpg

fihphXR.jpg
All very nice Gary but the covers on that fixed blade Mace really appeal to me . The color and texture makes me want to see the other cover .

Harry

Great post and beautiful knives Ratbert, really like your thought process:thumbsup:. Assuming you mean by matching you that you are referring to thickness and coloration? In the past, when scanning through examples, it seems my eyes are immediately drawn to the texture with islands and peninsulas (popcorn), your post now has me thinking in different positive direction...thanks again for your comments.

I don't know about Ratbert, but the only think I ask for is that the covers look like they actually came from the same animal. This is a natural material we're talking about. Perfectly matching covers aren't really an option.

All very nice Gary but the covers on that fixed blade Mace really appeal to me . The color and texture makes me want to see the other cover .

Harry
I'll try and add a pic of the other side tomorrow, Harry. It's a real close match to the side shown. I'll tag it so you'll get an alert.

Back