Self defense reccommendations?

Hello. I recently started walking home from school as opposed to taking the bus just because I like the walk. My house is about 3 miles from the school. When I'm walking back, there's a lot of construction etc. going on and some areas are shady. Problem is, I can't bring a knife to school because of the awful laws (actually, with the kids at my school, I dare say "sensible"). Is there any impact weapon legal to carry do you think? I saw somewhere off a link on BF.com a small keyring item with a semi-pointed tip that will direct the force of your punch withing a minimum area, which has a more incapacitating and painful result. I can't find it now, though. Any suggestions?

-Dan

EDITED TO CLARIFY

The item you are referring to is known as the Comtech Stinger. It is a great little self defense item, although I suspect the school would frown upon it. I would probably not put your keys on it, as others may well see it and you could get kicked out. If you know how to use a koppo stick, why not carry a suitable pen, which you could use in a similar way? If you want to carry the Stinger concealed, try making a loop of broad elastic to hold the tip. This can then be sewed into your clothes.

Good luck, Neophyte.

Thanks for the ID Neo. I'm not farmiliar with a Koppo stick, though. I ran a Google Search on it and found titanium dowel-like items with holes for which to put an elastic or rope through. That's pretty neat. Think I could get a heavy pen, visit Mr. Drill Press and get my own?

a pair of steel toe boots? You wont be carrying a "weapon" but you could easily break bones with 'em. Just food for thought.

Frank

I agree with Silverfox. They don't even have to be steel-toe boots. Anything with a good hard sole protruding beyond the toe just a bit. It's amazing how much a kick in the shin with a hard boot actually hurts! Not to mention the teeth! At any rate, you wouldn't run into as much trouble as carrying a dedicated "weapon". I always thought a metal pen would be a decent improvised weapon as well.

You might like to check out a video tape from Paladin Press. It's titled "Minimum Damage, Maximum Effect: A Complete Guide to Use of Pepper Spray, Less-Lethal, and Improvised Weapons" featuring Kelly McCann a.k.a. Jim Grover. Great stuff although the empahsis is on the use of pepper spray, an item you'd want to avoid taking to school. He does cover alternate means of defense from common items as well as other items you could carry to school. Such as a Surefire flashlight that can blind as well as be applied as a Yawara or Kubotan style impact weapon.

Martial arts classes!

If you can't get those then get a cane...or walking stick...or umbrella...

Or just get a small stick you can stuff into your backpack...
maybe a foot long or something...saw down an escrima stick so it'll fit in your back pack...

I'd rather not have my parents know I was considering this. I doubt they'd even let me walk home, but I've been saying I stayed after. Most likely, I'm just being paranoid. I would like a Kubotan, though. I could always use a pen.

1. A carabiner can be used as an improvised "brass nuckles". Get a good quality one and stick it on your back-pack, but easily reachable.

2. Disguise a couple of escrima-type sticks as the inner frame of your school bag. You'll need to do some good stiching for this.
I've never done this myself, it's just an idea that has been floating around in my head for awhile now.
Makes sure you can take them out easily and quickly when needed.

Dan. I assume you are not of legal age. Any weapon will not be allowed at school and most are illegal for you to carry at any time.
And if you use a weapon on another person, you could be in big trouble. You can only use deadly force when confronted with deadly force. You can not stab someone for punching you in the nose. You need to be very careful when defending yourself, even more so that us old guys. If the weapon you use is illegal for you to carry, then you are already the bad guy in the eyes of the law.
If you want to defend yourself, take up a good martial art.

Originally posted by Hawaiian
If the weapon you use is illegal for you to carry, then you are already the bad guy in the eyes of the law.
If you want to defend yourself, take up a good martial art.

What he said...

I would suggest a heavy ring, one of those "Biker" types with lots of things sticking out. Keep it in your pocket if you want. Get it about a size too big so you can slip it on. Go for the forehead, blood will run into their eyes. Then Run.
Also a big belt buckle, heavy as you can get. Just slip it off and use as a flail. Big boots yes.

Dan. I assume you are not of legal age. Any weapon will not be allowed at school and most are illegal for you to carry at any time.
I am not of legal age, and I suppose I should have considered the legality of the blunt force objects. These (except the SureFire) are weapons, not tools, unlike my knives.
And if you use a weapon on another person, you could be in big trouble. You can only use deadly force when confronted with deadly force. You can not stab someone for punching you in the nose. You need to be very careful when defending yourself, even more so that us old guys. If the weapon you use is illegal for you to carry, then you are already the bad guy in the eyes of the law.

Thanks for the advice! I guess when I think of self defense, I'm thinking self-preservation and not of the consequences legally.

1. A carabiner can be used as an improvised "brass nuckles". Get a good quality one and stick it on your back-pack, but easily reachable.

Now that has some potential. I could always say it was strictly for carabiner keychain-type purposes, but still use it for self defense. I'd leave it IN my backpack, though, because it would be stolen outside of it. I could leave it on my keyring in my pockets, as well. On my keyring I carry a Photon light, I could substitute that with a Maglite Solitare and use that as an improvised Kuboton.

Thanks for the advice :D Sure wouldn't want to attack one of you guys! You'd all get MacGyver-style weapons and find some way to behead me with a shoelace :eek: Hmm...now that has potential...

Dan, glad to see you have your head in the right place.

The large heavy belt buckle would be an awesome weapon with some practice. I also like the steel toed boots, but not as much as I like a good pair of Nike's to run away real fast.

Give the bad guys all of the weapons mentioned in this thread and your fingers could be more deadly with good martial arts training.

I just tossed my mini maglite in my bag. It's hefty, perfect sized, and I can use it for fighting, and now that it's getting darker earlier, I could use it :D

A 3-cell Surefire (like the old 9P) would be an excellent choice, as along with it being a great "impact weapon", it could pull double-duty in lighting your way back home after a late-night "visit" to your girlfriend's house.:D.

I've always heard that throwing salt in someone's eyes is the poor man's pepper spray. How about ammonia in a spray bottle, or rubbing alcohol neither would be illegal even at school. Hry, I'm grasping here.

Back