Sending Leatherman to spain

Hello to all. I would like to send two Leatherman multi tools to some men who drove me around when I visited Valencia. I happen to be sending them care of a monastery in Olleria. The post office here told me the multitools would probably be subject to customs taxes. I don’t want these kind men to pay anything, if at all possible. To those of you who’ve sent knives and multitools to Spain, any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I don't know the laws but the taxes could be avoided if proven that the multitools are gifted. Might still cause some work for the receiver to prove they are gifted (?) but maybe someone from Spain can actually add up.

I ship gifts to a lady in Ireland and even though they are mostly small trinkets and such, she ends up paying more in custom taxes to receive the items then it does me to ship them. The last package I sent was small and didn’t contain anything expensive, I think I paid $37 to ship it and she had to pay equivalent of $60 to receive it.
I don’t know about Spain but those custom taxes can be surprisingly expensive.
Alternatively, when I receive packages from Ireland, it doesn’t cost me a dime in the US to take possession (as it should be).

If the multi-tools are used, be sure to include the words "second hand" on the customs paperwork. In other words, in the description, don't write "multi-tools" or whatever. Instead, write "Second-hand multi-tools."

It's not guaranteed, but I've had good luck getting packages through like this without getting hit with a customs/duty charge.

Last edited:
I don't know the laws but the taxes could be avoided if proven that the multitools are gifted. Might still cause some work for the receiver to prove they are gifted (?) but maybe someone from Spain can actually add up.
Thanks I’d forgotten about marking the gift box.

If the multi-tools are used, be sure to include the words "second hand" on the customs paperwork. In other words, in the description, don't write "multi-tools" or whatever. Instead, write "Second-hand multi-tools."

It's not guaranteed, but I've had good luck getting packages through like this without getting hit with a customs/duty charge.
They happen to be new, but I’ll remember that for future occasions; thanks.

I ship gifts to a lady in Ireland and even though they are mostly small trinkets and such, she ends up paying more in custom taxes to receive the items then it does me to ship them. The last package I sent was small and didn’t contain anything expensive, I think I paid $37 to ship it and she had to pay equivalent of $60 to receive it.
I don’t know about Spain but those custom taxes can be surprisingly expensive.
Alternatively, when I receive packages from Ireland, it doesn’t cost me a dime in the US to take possession (as it should be).
I went ahead and shipped them two days ago. I marked the gift box and hoping for the best no wrote to Sister to let me know if Customs charges them something and if so I’ll reimburse them.
It’s ironic, I could have ordered them on the Spanish website but because the billing address to my credit card is in the US, the purchase couldn’t go through. I called the Leatherman helpline and they said that’s the way it is.

I just wanted to add that this is a really cool thing to do!:thumbsup:
Well, mblade, It was also very cool of these men to drive me around for free! One of them is even a taxi driver. He picked me up at the train station and took me to the monastery when arrived and back to the train station when I departed—about 40 kms. The other gentleman took me from Olleria to Sagra where I met my distant cousin in my great-grandfather’s home town. That was over 80 miles round trip.

The nuns arranged the transport, maybe that was why the guys didn’t accept my money. At any rate, I figured the best way to show my gratitude was to send them each an American made multitool. I don’t know any guy who doesn’t appreciate those. Merry Christmas and happy Chanukah to everyone.

I went ahead and shipped them two days ago. I marked the gift box and hoping for the best no wrote to Sister to let me know if Customs charges them something and if so I’ll reimburse them.
It’s ironic, I could have ordered them on the Spanish website but because the billing address to my credit card is in the US, the purchase couldn’t go through. I called the Leatherman helpline and they said that’s the way it is.
There are other knife dealers in EU that carry Leatherman and would have taken your order. I know because I live in Europe and have received a knife this way - a gentleman in US payed for it on a EU based website and had it shipped to my address in another EU country. So there were no taxes to be paid upon arrival of the package.

Back