Sending my BK9 back :(

KA-BAR informed me that this meets QC for the Becker line. The chunks missing are from laser cutting and the hammer marks are from getting the blade straight after heat treat.

They offered to replace mine but I am 50/50 right now.

Paul T. was very fast with emails and knows his stuff.

P106027056456-1.jpg

P1060536.jpg

P1060565.jpg

P1060543.jpg

Last edited:
I already sent the email. KA-BAR's site is set up so you can find how to contact them quickly.

Soooo it sound like its when air gets into the cast, turns into a paste kind of substance, and then it doesn't allow the cast to form properly.

What I'm reading also say it doesn't always cause problems with the strength of the metal but most of the time it weakens it.

that's a collectible right there :)

Bladite

Well I'll let ya have it for the low price of $150 then...I mean, being that your a good friend and all!:D

nah, i couldn't take your money :) you can just send it to me though ;)

Bladite

Soooo it sound like its when air gets into the cast, turns into a paste kind of substance, and then it doesn't allow the cast to form properly.

What I'm reading also say it doesn't always cause problems with the strength of the metal but most of the time it weakens it.
but beckers are not cast ,I think, I think they are ground from a peice of stock so...... that wouldnt seem to be realavent, anyway good luck with ka-bar hope it all works out!

but beckers are not cast ,I think, I think they are ground from a peice of stock so...... that wouldnt seem to be realavent, anyway good luck with ka-bar hope it all works out!

I honestly have no idea. I was just trying to research everything.

Guess that is irreverent if thats the case.

My understanding, which could be wrong, is that they cut the stock to make a blank, then grind the blade from the blank: no casting involved in that process. That doesn't mean, however, that there couldn't be inclusions in the steel from the mill. Looking at the pictures that rmc85 posted would mean that the imperfections (which are obvious) must have occurred after the blade was cut by Ka-Bar. Do they weaken the blade? Beats me. We have no way of knowing. But they are obvious defects -- even if only cosmetic -- and certainly are not what he expected or paid for. My guess is that Ka-Bar should -- and would -- replace the blade.

send it back,ka-bars QC has been abit sloppy they want to make it right,I say go for it!
It makes me feel alot better knowing that they want to take care of it.beckers are affordable hard use knifes that need not be slapped together.It's just gonna suck waiting for the new one to show.time without your BK9 now thats pain!

After that slick move on your GF (gotta admire you there!) getting her to get that knife for you. After all the bantering back and forth... "My rifle is better than yours" (I won that btw :D) After all that, go ahead and take Ka-Bar up on the offer. I have dealt with Paul before and he is one hell of a guy! Gave me a LOT of faith in the company.

Hey rmc85....

First off, sorry about the cosmetic flaw.....I take it Paul is making it right....

As far as the hammer marks are concerned they exist in one form or another under the scales of most knives...When blades come back from heat treat there is almost always a degree of warpage and rather than send out a bent blade ya gotta beat it straight....If you beat it on the blade portion it really screws up the sales appeal, soo we beat it where it will be hidden, John told me that if you stripped the leather washers off any Ka-Bar Marine Combat there will be at least a couple of whack marks....It is just part of making knives.......You SEE it on Beckers more because you can remove the scales.....I understand the initial WTF because the first time I rehafted a Puma (retail 350 bucks) the tang was rusty looking and full of little dents and flaws and I was horrified, but I still use that knife and have bought a bunch more Pumas since.....I still like them a lot......I have smith made katanas and wakizashis one of which is worth tens of thousands and the tang looks worse than the Puma did.....

As a matter of record All Beckers are laser cut from solid stock and then ground, heat treated, straightened(beat up) then coated and sharpened by hand...I know of no cast knives that will take any kind of hard use other some David Boye stuff and that is some pretty rarified air you are breathing there....

Hope this clears the air a bit....

All Best....

ethan

Yes he is.

I feel kind of bad sending it back, but I was thinking about it and I wont be happy if I keep it. I'd rather get it replaced and keep buying Becker's.

I'll be buying a BK2 soon and some micarta scales when they come out.

Paul has been very helpful.

Back