September 2021 BOTM - 301 Stockman 420HC FFG Long Pull, Black Burlap Micarta

I think this is officially a real knife now, not just an oddity. Even if it doesn't have it's own name and number, it is uniquely different than the three blade 301 Stockman and the single blade 302 Solitaire. I really like it and hope to see more variations down the road. It's one of my favorites now.

Buck%2B301%2BBOM%2BSept%2B21%2B-%2B01.jpg

Curious why you wouldnt return it for a better example?
There are times that I take the effort to return an item that does not meet my expectations, but I often choose to go ahead and keep many knives that are sub par. I am sure it is part laziness and part knowing that a sub par knife is still a knife. Also, sometimes I am hyper-critical of things just because I had a long rough shift at work or a thousand other reasons.

There are times that I take the effort to return an item that does not meet my expectations, but I often choose to go ahead and keep many knives that are sub par. I am sure it is part laziness and part knowing that a sub par knife is still a knife. Also, sometimes I am hyper-critical of things just because I had a long rough shift at work or a thousand other reasons.
I understand and makes sense.

I understand and makes sense.
The last time I recall seeing it is on the BladeForums designed, 2018 Buck 301 forum knife. Buck should have BladeForums design more knives for them. The BF designed SK 104 and BF 301 forum knife were both extremely popular.

0301BKSBOTM-B.jpg

HADtGUD.jpg
It's a little gritty opening it and I'm afraid to flush it out because I like how the micarta looks...I guess at some point its going to get oils from my hand
it’s funny you mention… i got the forum knife and it was catch and release. i just didn’t like the feel of the stag. so maybe i ordered one just cuz i haven’t bought a knife in a while. but i’ll tell ya, i like this one. can’t explain it, it just feels right.
Just curious as to how many that bought one, will use as an EDC? If so, how will the Micarta hold up to EDC. Thanks
ironically enough, and as i said above, i’ve tried different flavors of the 300 series over the years. i really want to like them. i buy knives to carry them. it was never that i didn’t like them, i did. but i carry a vic farmer or pioneer x every day, and i could never knock it out of my pocket. welp, i am happy to report, i’ve carried this one several times this week. 👍

mine was also gritty out of the box, as others have reported. but i gave it a balistol bath and worked it a bit, and now it’s fine.

mine was also nice and sharp, but based on what others have said, i checked the grinds and the blade positioning. my grinds are just about perfect. i guess closed, both blades are pretty close to the liners (perhaps even rubbing), but i wouldn’t have even noticed (ie. not bad).

having a good time on a friday night….
PE1L2Z5.jpg

muCo7Sw.jpg

it’s funny you mention… i got the forum knife and it was catch and release. i just didn’t like the feel of the stag.
I bought that knife and still have it, one of my favorites. It’s my Sunday go to meetin knife.

Attachments

• 4DD1CB30-E338-41C1-A9FF-E0EB314F79B8.jpeg
    4DD1CB30-E338-41C1-A9FF-E0EB314F79B8.jpeg
    513.6 KB · Views: 13
My experience with these is close to Greasepiggy’s. I like the idea of these, but the sharpening is pretty bad, sharp, but very wavy or sloppy. I bought three and all are about the same in this respect. Some of the wavy edges are wide enough that it might be difficult to straighten out without removing a lot of metal.
Many of the new knives I have bought have made me wish they didn’t sharpen them at all. Just let me do it.

The way they do it might be fast but it’s not the right way.

J J Hubbard I wonder if I could also get a shipping label to get mine touched up? Just a few minor issues - small gap between springs and springs aren't flush with each other, long blade is touching the wall at it's tip and is a little wobbly. And I just noticed the sheep's foot has a slight recurve near the base. Otherwise, I really really like this knife and glad I nabbed one. I don't have gold membership yet but I can email you my address. Thank you

J J Hubbard I wonder if I could also get a shipping label to get mine touched up? Just a few minor issues - small gap between springs and springs aren't flush with each other, long blade is touching the wall at it's tip and is a little wobbly. And I just noticed the sheep's foot has a slight recurve near the base. Otherwise, I really really like this knife and glad I nabbed one. I don't have gold membership yet but I can email you my address. Thank you
send me an email to jhubbard@buckknives.com and we will get it going for you.

19C58E29-E3C4-46CB-9899-A90315079707.jpeg
B361E017-D9A5-459C-B875-2CE790F96460.jpeg

Just a follow up on my September 301 BOTM. Jeff J J Hubbard reached out to me after I posted about a couple fit and finish issues I noticed. I likely would have just lived with them, but glad I took him up on the offer and sent the knife in. The main issues were a splotch of micarta that had been overheated and the clip blade rubbing on the liner. I just received the knife back and Buck did a fantastic job cleaning up the micarta and aligning the clip blade. See upper before and lower after picture for the micarta cleanup. It also appears that they cleaned up the grinds on the blades, which I didn’t bother mentioning but greatly appreciate. Thanks Jeff and the Buck crew! I’ll be on the lookout for more of these offerings on the 300 series.

Does anyone know if the long pull nail notch is a rare thing? I'm not going to lie, I don't really have any traditional Buck folders, so can't recall having seen it before.
Schrade/Camillus made 300 series (before Buck made them in-house) all had/have longpulls. One of the "at a glance" means to tell if an early or late 300.
The 300's made in-house by Buck, unless a special order like the 2018 Forum Knife, or a limited edition, like this BOM have nailnicks.

Last edited:
Back