serations suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
why do so many otherwise good knives get ruined by this half serated fad?
Not a fad. Been around for a while. Average knife users don't sharpen like the should. Serrations will stay sharp longer. These knives obviously sell or manufacturers wouldn't make them.

I love the serrations on my spyderco salt blades. I don't think they "suck" at all.

I've heard that properly done serrations are easier to live with. Unfortunately, a lot of companies think serrations need to look like the mouth of some predatory fish.

If you're cutting rope and other very fibrous materials, serrations are you friend. For your average, everyday mix of paper and plastic cutting, not so much.

ESEE takes a different approach to the serrations on their RAT series, which are supposed to snag and drag less.

I’ve got a couple that are partially serrated. They serve a purpose. I’ve also found that most knives can be bought with either a plain edge or serrated in the same model. That in itself leaves a buyer with choices which is a good thing.

What knife only comes in a serrated edge ??

ive never had a task that made me say, "damn this knife holds a superior edge but i sure wish half the usable cutting surface looked and snagged like a cheap steak knife."

ive never had a task that made me say, "damn this knife holds a superior edge but i sure wish half the usable cutting surface looked and snagged like a cheap steak knife."
Serrations are great in the right situation, like cutting rope. I’m sure with some practice, you’d get used to it.

Also, do we know you?...something seems familiar.

maybe im not indiana jones rope bridge cutting enough. just seems a niche use to me...whittling ,box cutting , defense, package opening, skinning, gutting,etc...nearly none of my edc tasks require a saw. if i needed a saw id bring a saw.

Serrations are great in the right situation, like cutting rope. I’m sure with some practice, you’d get used to it.

Also, do we know you?...something seems familiar.
dont yhink so, never had an account here til super recently. benn on here researching steel types.

The only ones I have that I like are a dexter Russel rope knife. Fully serated cuts cardboard like crazy and never gets dull. The other one I like is a Leatherman Wave. Two blades one regular one fully serated. Best of both worlds. Gives you a chance to see which one works better in which circumstance.

Don't know, but another good positive to my switch over to traditionals.
A lot of modern folders I liked I could only find in partially serrated blades, and I absolutely hated them with their partially serrated blades.

I've got one partially serrated knife which is the sog seal pup, I can use the knife no problem but would rather it was all plain edge.

Serrations let you use your knife like a saw. As others have pointed out, this can be helpful when you need to get through certain types of material. It can also help a less sharp knife to cut, which can be a real benefit in certain situations. Chances are, most of us are familiar with these benefits from the steak and bread knives in our kitchens.

Partial serrations split the difference. Yes, there are cases where this just means having half of what you need. Sure, it can look "tacticool". I carried knives like this back in the 1990s and I'd occasionally find utility in the design.

For my daily EDC tasks, I don't have much need for serrations.

I think serrations are over used just to look cool. But they are definitely superior for cutting medium-heavy ropes, nets or other coarse fiber material. I prefer a sharp plain edge for 90% of what I need to cut. But I did just order a full SE Salt just for things like boating. I would definitely want a partially SE on a dive knife or if I worked with a lot of rigging, or as a backup rescue cutter for Fire/EMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back