Sere 2000-Sensible Man's Sebenza

Though this is my first post,I've been reading past posts over the past couple of months trying to find info regarding a heavy-duty folder,with the Al Mar SERE 2000 and the large Sebenza being the two leading choices.I finally ordered the SERE a couple of weeks ago,and have had time to compare it to a friend's Sebenza.
The two knives are very similar in many respects.They both have a
closed length of 4 3/4" and take up about the same space in a pants
pocket.Both knives allow tip up carry,and though the Sebenza is about
1 1/2 oz. lighter,this makes little difference when using a pocket clip.The AL Mar has a slightly longer blade,3 5/8 vs.3 1/2,is slightly
thicker,.140 vs..125",but the Sebenza's blade is about 1/8" wider.I don't believe comparing the blade shape or grind gives either knife a
real advantage over the other.The handles being the same length are also quite similar in shape.The only real difference is the SERE handles are textured G-10,which would allow more security,especially
when wet.Both knives use a high quality blade material,and certainly
the Al Mar's use of VG-10 cannot be faulted.Perhaps the critical factor is the Sebenza's Titanium Integral frame lock,which most users
believe to be the best available design,but the SERE steel liner lock
is very robust,locking up with a definite certainty.
I guess the bottom line is that the large Sebenza weighs a little
less and has a slightly superior locking design.But is it really worth
almost 3 times the money($120 vs.$340)??It seems that something like the law of diminishing returns applies in this comparison.To get a knife that is only very marginally superior requires one to spend substantially more money.Should the Sebenza costs almost 3 times the
SERE 2000?Is one knife under-priced,or one over-priced?Your thoughtful
comments are welcome.

Well, to a Sebenzaholic the Sebenza is more than "marginally superior" and well worth the cost difference. I've owned three or four SERE 2Ks and sold them all. In fact, I've sold most all of my other knives and only carry one of four Sebenzas in my EDC rotation. The SERE 2K is a great knife and I like VG-10 steel, just not as great as a Sebenza. But, then again, that's what makes horse races.
"Sensible man's Sebenza" would seem to imply that Sebenza owners are'nt sensible, got your flame retardant shorts on? LOL

BTW,welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the Forums!:)

Best of luck with the SERE 2000. IMHO, it's one of the best production liner lock folders out there. When you factor in the price, maybe it's one of the best overall buys out there. It will do anything you want a quality folder to do.

Is the Sebenza worth it? I think it is--all things considered. The Sebbie is sort of a handmade masquerading as a production piece.

Good luck and feel free to chime in with your reactions to the 2000 as you use it.:cool:

John Jay,

I think you are 100% right that the quality differance between these two knives does not warrent the price differance. I have a SERE 2000 and yes I love it. It is the most expensive folder I own. I just can't see spending that kind of money for a folder when you can buy the AL MAR for around $120.00 bucks.

Don't particularily care for the SERE. Had one and sold it after 10-days of ownership.

Greatly enjoy the Sebenza. Have owned quite a few and still own quite a few.

Just call it a personal preference thing. :D

Whether you own a Spyderco, Microtech, Al Mar, CRK, etc. . .as long as you're a knife knut. . .you'll do OK here.

Glad that you enjoy your SERE and welcome aboard ! :)

I really like that SERE 2000. I miss the last one I had, as it ended up being traded. Of course I could always do what I did with the one before that one-I emailed the BFC forum member (who put it up for trade) and bought it back from him! :rolleyes: Man, what's wrong with me? geegee

I'm shocked! A newbie posts on what is usually our most contentious issue, and no has ripped him a new one.:eek: I'm glad we can finally talk about the Sebenza without folks getting upset. Welcome, John Jay, if you like knives, this is the place to be.

Originally posted by RickJ
John Jay,

I think you are 100% right that the quality differance between these two knives does not warrent the price differance. I have a SERE 2000 and yes I love it. It is the most expensive folder I own. I just can't see spending that kind of money for a folder when you can buy the AL MAR for around $120.00 bucks.

Have you ever owned a Sebenza? If yes, what made you decide to part with it? If no, then how can you compare them?

I have owned both, granted the SERE2000 is a very nice knife, it doesn't come close to the Seb as far as build/quality control. It is cheaper yes, and a fine knife for the price, but if you can afford a Seb as a user, why settle for second best?

Soon after becoming a member on this forum I quickly learned of this characteristic of "pride of ownership" that nearly all Sebenza owners possess ! Perhaps paying a large sum of money for a folding knife compells one to vigorously defend the quality and superiority of the Sebenza and take on all "imposters". I however lack the aformentioned "flame retardant shorts" .....and do comprehend "pride of ownership" and all the accompanying urges to extol the virtues of the Sebenza. All I will say is I love my Al MAR SERE 2000 and think it to be a marvelous production folder....PERIOD . We ALL, in our favorite folders have a pride in owership.

Having never seen a Sebenza, I will say that I really like my SERE with one caveat; the liner detent isn't nearly secure enough. I've dropped the knife and had it come half open before it hits the ground, which is an injury waiting to happen, since I'm a major clutz. Maybe this is an isolated case though. Other than that it is amzingly well finished, I'm especially impressed with how well fitted the handle slabs are.

A lot ot folk's are unhappy with the cost of a
Sebenza ,but that doesn't make it a good or bad
knife. Chris Reeve priced his knife to a certain
market and that market agrees with him by buying
all he can make.

Is the SERE 2000 or Sebenza a better knife?? No,
not really. Just like wine, cars & women it's all
in what YOU like. Do I feel bad I'll never own a
Sebenza? Nope,not one bit. The price and knife
design don't fit me just as the SERE 2000 doesn't
fit either.

For those that like / own each knife then if they
are happy with them then it's a non-issue which is
"better" ;)

I said the SERE 2000 was the most expensive folder I have.Yes I have looked at the Sebenza and had one in my hand and yes I have been a knife nut all my life and yes I can afford to buy a Sebenza many times over but for me I just can't see paying that much for a folder. I will say that yes there is a quality differance between these two knives but not so much that the price is three times as much. If the Sebenza was about $200.00 bucks than it would be worth it!

Mogmz, Don't fall prey to the notion that you actually must OWN a knife to be familiar and have an opinion about that particular knife.

Having said that, I would prefer the Sebenza because it's a frame-lock. I just don't care for liner-locks anymore.

Actually, I prefer the Axis-lock above all others.

If the SERE is the knife for you, more power to you. To each his own. I'll stick with my Sebenzas and SAKs.

Paul

Back