Serrated Broadheads?

Sal, have you ever consider getting into bowhunting scene by applying your serrated and knife R&D toward broadheads? I read an article in Outdoor Life by Mr. Wensel who uses a file to make serrated edges on his broadheads for hunting. Just a thought.
Endre

Endre - We were approached about 10 or 12 years ago by one company. We did some initial design work, taught them as much as we could on the subject and introduced them to a company that could produce them. I believe they began producing them and they could be on the market know. There is no doubt in my mind that an aggressive serrated edge, properly angled to take advantage of the forward direction, would be more effective at its mission.
sal

Endre;
A few companies have tried serrated broadheads and met with VERY limited success. Part of the problem is difficulty in sharpening them once they dull up. The other part of the problem seems to be a reduced wound size. Believe it or not, they actually cut TOO well. The size of the broadhead's wound is partly due to the distortion (stretching) of the tissue as the blades pass through. Sort of a tugging effect. A good serration reduces the drag as the blade passes through the tissue resulting in smaller wound diameter, hence less bleeding. As we all know, unlike a wound from a firearm which imparts shock, an arrow kills through blood loss. I've noticed that some of my less sharp blades leave a greater wound than new perfect blades. Of course, all of this is high subjective, but it's something to consider.
PS
I'm a bowhnuter, 3D shooter and also shoot indoor tournament. Coached my wife to Arkansas State Champ (Women's Bowhnuter Freestyle 1997) but blew out my shoulder in the first round. Should have heard her crow when she outshot me!
biggrin.gif

------------------
I cut it, and I cut it, and it's STILL too short!

Ken, I'm sorry but your wrong when you say "it cuts to well". A sharp broadhead slices the arteries cleanly, resulting in increased blood loss due to the fact that the blood clotting is delayed. Any jagged edges(and I don't mean serrated) promote fast clotting whitch in turn slows the flow of blood. A large wound, if inflicted by a very sharp broadhead,with complete passthrough, will leave a better blood trail, but any major artery(just one)that is cut by any size head as long as it is shaving sharp will kill the animal in short order.
You should NEVER shoot an animal with a "less sharp blade". Its not the responsible thing to do. If I can't shave with it I don't use it period... And the serrated heads you speak of had replaceable blades...use them once and throw them away.
That leaves no excuse for not having a sharp broadhead.
Do you realize that if you shoot an animal through both lungs with a target tip its going to die? You might not find it because it will leave no blood trail, but its going to die all the same, from collapsed lungs, suffacation, not blood loss!
I didn't mean to go off, but I take my bowhunting seriously and don't want to see anyone getting the wrong idea about how sharp their heads have to be to cleanly harvest game and to be a responsible bowhunter...
Thx for listening..Mick

Oh..by the way.. Wound diameter is directly proportional to the size of the broadhead. The larger the head the larger the wound. A 2" serrated head, and a 2" plain head, all things being equal, will make the same size wound. Drag has nothing to do with it.
Mick

Mick - thanx for the input. When one thinks about more deeply, responsibility of humans (in all activity) makes for better societies. It is probably wise to take any activity seriously that potentially involves life and death of anything.
sal

Sal, your very welcome. I know I don't know as much about knives as a lot of the people here, but I've been bowhunting for 27 yrs. and have harvested many animals. The killing power of a sharp broadhead should not be underestimated, but by the same token, an animal shot with anything less than a shaving sharp head will die a slow death and might not ever be found. Venison is to delicious to waste...
Mick

Mick,
I re-read my post and I can see how one could misunderstand me. Let me emphasize this;
YOU SHOULD NEVER HUNT WITH ANY BROADHEAD THAT IS LESS THAT RAZOR SHARP!!!

I did not mean to imply that anyone should ever use a dull broadhead. I was talking about the difference between a NEW set of blades and a set that has been used and resharpened. I have a good set of sharpening files for my broadheads and I use them religously. I do my level best to be a safe, responsible, and ethical hunter and have no tolerance for anyone who does otherwise.
When I talk about the "tugging" effect, I refer to that sensation you get when you draw you finger along the blade edge.(Careful!) You will feel a definite tugging action against your skin.
Yes, I agree, the size of the wound is proportionate to the size of the broadhead, all other things being equal. (They never are.)
On the subject of serrated vs. straight edges on your broadheads, this is one of those subjects on which we must agree to disagree.
PS
Mick, you seem to take a very confrontational stance on a regular basis, and I can understand that you have strong feelings on many subjects, most of us here do.
I would ask though that you consider not reading quite so much INTO some posts. This forum (like any other) is not well suited to extremely long and in depth posts. On TFL, I posted a message about "How to win at Camp Perry in 200 words or less." Do I really think that anyone could ever tell you all you need to know to win a national match in 200 words? No. And that was the point. I wanted to emphasis, that while I am giving shooting advise, it is in the end only that. Advise. Breif and to the point.
We sometimes must sacrifice detail for brevity. (Obviously this is not the case with this post.)
Wat I'm trying to say here, is relax a little. realize that no one here can cover all the basis in one forum post.
FYI, I've been talking to Endre by email and I feel that he understands me perfectly well.
In Summary.
I will try to be clearer in the future.
You please try to be a little more tolerant.
Deal?

Ken, I'm sorry if I sounded confrontational in my post. Hunters get a bad enough name, especially bowhunters, so when I see something that is a little off and might give someone the wrong idea, I try to share with all involved my experience in the matter. I'm not going to be a YES man here, but I will try not to read to much into these threads. One question...do you really think you would feel a tug, if there even would be a tug, from an arrow traveling 220fps? I hardly think so. Thanks for replying.
Mick

Back