Serrated Military vs Serrated Police?

(also posted in Spyderco forum)

Hello Fellow Spyderco enthusiasts,

Those of you with both of these knives or perhaps those who have used them...does the Police model cut as aggressively as the Military w/ both in serrated form? Is it close?

You see, I already own a plain edged Military, and I will soon have a serrated stainless steel Police model (it’s on order). So I’m wondering, will the Police model complement the Military as it’s serrated “buddy” and act as an acceptable “folding saw” when I need one. I realize that the Police model has a hollow ground blade of ATS-55 and the Military is flat ground CPM-440V with lots of belly; hence my question.

I already have plans to carry both, as I have found the Miltary extremely comfortable to carry IWB and I’m betting the stainless Police will be as good or beter. I’m just wondering now whether I need to set my future sights on a serrated Military next. Yikes! Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jeff/1911

Since the Millie is flat-ground, I'd go for the toothy one anytime. Its the best all-round large spydie I have so far!
biggrin.gif

Sam

------------------
have spydies
will travel...
AKTI Member #A001148

Thanks Samo,

I've always thought that if a blade was flat ground, it seemed more appropriate to make it a plain edge...maybe I need to rethink that.

Like I said; I'm already going to get the serrated Police model, so I just have to decide if I should take the plunge for a second Military w/ teeth. I know, I know...I can't have too many.

I'm just wondering how much better of a cutter it will be than the serrated Police model that I will already own (once I get it).

Jeff/1911.

I don't have serrated military or police.
BUT notice that spyderco makes different serrations on ats-55 and CPM T 440V. Serrations on 440V blades are smoother - smoother than old serrations that are less agressive than the new serrations. Serrated 440V blades are easier to sharpen than serrated ats-55 blades as it is easier to follow smoother curves with sharpaker. I tend to have poorer finish just after the teeth on ats blades but old serrations (on Gin-1 and Aus-8 blades) and serrations on my BF native don't suffer this problem.

Police is propably better SAW because of more agressive serrations.

Most aggressive cutters would be G-10 serrared police and serrated large calypso. Both are flat ground and come with new serration profile.

I'd take military over police if I was buying serrated knife.

------------------
"Good tools to sustain life, or at least make life more convenient"
-James Mattis

Tommi,

Thank you for your response. Your comments and observations are most helpful. I wasn't aware of the difference in serrations you mention. I will be using my Sharpmaker 204 to sharpen whatever knife I buy, so the point you make about smoother serrations is quite relevant to me.

Perhaps the best thing that I can do is to buy a serrated Military, once I've already got my serrated Police model and the perform some cutting tests so that I am able to provide some real answers to this question.

If the Police model in ATS-55 may prove somewhat tougher to sharpen, then perhaps it makes some sense to get a serrated Military to use for big jobs, preserving the Police model for other stuff.

I have decided that I really like the appearance of the serrated Military, and I have such a great deal of respect for the design that I think I could justify buying one in a different edge style after all.

I suppose if I want to "test" the Spyderco serrated blade in CPM-440V, then the Native serrated model would show me how they work...although it is a hollow ground design unlike the Military. Hmmmmmmm.

Thanks a lot for your help. Jeff/1911.

Jeff:
There are some variation between aggressiveness of Spydie serrations, but not only due to steel type. My ATS-55 Harpy's serrations are thicker and less "pointy" than those on my ATS-55 Endura and Delica. Also, though my ATS-55 Police (SS handle) has aggressive serrations, they're a very slight bit less pointy than my Endura's.

I still think that, using the 204 Sharpmaker, sharpening all types of the Spyderco serrations should not be too difficult. I've found that in general, ATS-55 is fairly easy to resharpen, provided you don't allow it (or any blade steel) to actually become to the point of being dull.
Sal Glesser once noted that if resharpened enough times, all serrations will eventually round off to some degree. But IMO, unless they are worked hard and constantly, they should require less resharpening than most plain edges used similarly.
Jim

Jim,

I suppose the serrations on any of these given knife designs are likely optimized for the perceived purpose of the design. I hadn't even considered the possibility that there might be differences in the way they were produced.

This is quite enlightening for me. Thanks for your comment.

Jeff/1911.

Back