How To Serrating a non serrated S30V knife

I can already hear you guys laughing. But i thought I would throw this out there.
I have been looking pretty hard for a serrated assisted knife in S30V. Looks like Benchmade is it. No one else sells one in S30V that I can find.
I have been on the verge of ordering a Benchmade Barrage ,partial serrated blade for a while but can't bring myself to do it. 265 dollars. yes it would be a very nice knife. But I'm a mechanic and very hard on knives.
(Actually I DID order one,but called to change the handles and was told the order had been canceled) She gave me no reason,except to try to pay a different way. I had an order number and thought it went through. Which kind of turned me off.
But..... I still might order one.
I have a Kershaw blur serrated and love it. I can get it razor sharp but it seems it almost goes dull just looking at it (14C28N sandvic)
Soooo I keep looking at the Blur in S30V

And wondering about serrating it myself to look like the one I have.

I see on youtube guys starting serrations with a dremel....and several other methods to dial it in. Like I say,i can hear you all laughing at me trying to cut notches in S30V.
It would probably take more in time and money on dremel bits and diamond files just to have something in the end that looks like a second grade shop project.
But you know what they say about giving a guy a fish and feeding him for a day and teaching him to fish and feed him for life (I seem to remember something about beer also,maybe I am confused)
But I thought i would ask just how far fetched you guys think this is. As I said i am a mechanic by trade,and spending money on tools is something i am used too. the benchmade is 265,and the kershaw is under 100
so that gives me some room to work with. I would then have a knife i wasn't afraid to use and tear up.
Any advice?

I’ve put serrations on two knives. Rat 1 in aus 8 and a dpx hest fixed blade in 1095. It was very easy to do but hard at first to get everything even.

7Rs39Ih.jpg

HfP0ook.jpg

Cold steel makes some s35vn seratted knives. Also aus 10 serrated knives, their aus 10 is pretty good steel. I own knives from them in both steels in straight edge and they hold up very well to use. My guess is serrated blades would hold up well in either steel too.

Spyderco makes S30V full serrated in their Para Military 2 and Para 3 models,,, may have some others also in Native and Manix at one time.

Regards,
FK

If it were me, I'd keep an eye on the secondary market (eBay, etc) for lightly used older models. It seems to me, serrated blades in S30V used to be ubiquitous and trendy, especially from makers like Spyderco. Look for models like the Spyderco Military or Paramilitary in particular, among others. In maybe late '90s and early 2000's, Spyderco's 'super steel' of choice was S30V for those. Since you already know you're looking for a hard-use knife and not worried about the cosmetics, you should be able to find some of those older models that others have decided they don't want anymore and are putting up for sale at a discount. AND, Spyderco's factory serrations are known to be very good. So, finding an older one with the factory serrations is all the better.

If you have a Dremel and small round files you can do it, but practice a lot on some crappy knives or even silverware first. And try different patterns. And be careful not to let the edges you are grinding get hot.

I put rope-cutting serrations on a knife for a climber friend and he loved it. I used constant curves, no points. Worked very well.

There are/were original Spyderco Paramilitary 2's with serrated edge in S30V.
spyderco.com website, search term <serrated> . The PM2's show as "OUT OF STOCK" and prolly woht come back.

I'd look out for some of these, on forums, fleebai, reddyd, gregslist, if you like the PM2 form factor.
There are lots of similar form factor knives on google/AX/etc with serrated edge and "CPM S30V"-label (just use search term <C81 knife>) but i wouldn't trust any S30V or S35VN declarations coming from overseas.

Last edited:
You might try to find an old ZT 300st or 200st! They were.pretty good I still have my 301st. Also I find DPX gear serrations to be excellent on the heft models. I'll post a pic of both!
Also check out Veff sharpening. com!! He.puts his serrations on any knife you want and they cut very well.
The ZT is s30v. The DPX is Niolox n is good stuff too!!
Good luck!!

Attachments

• IMG_20191121_140820.jpg
    IMG_20191121_140820.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20210206_095413.jpg
    IMG_20210206_095413.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 2
I can already hear you guys laughing. But i thought I would throw this out there.
I have been looking pretty hard for a serrated assisted knife in S30V. Looks like Benchmade is it. No one else sells one in S30V that I can find.
I have been on the verge of ordering a Benchmade Barrage ,partial serrated blade for a while but can't bring myself to do it. 265 dollars. yes it would be a very nice knife. But I'm a mechanic and very hard on knives.
(Actually I DID order one,but called to change the handles and was told the order had been canceled) She gave me no reason,except to try to pay a different way. I had an order number and thought it went through. Which kind of turned me off.
But..... I still might order one.
I have a Kershaw blur serrated and love it. I can get it razor sharp but it seems it almost goes dull just looking at it (14C28N sandvic)
Soooo I keep looking at the Blur in S30V

And wondering about serrating it myself to look like the one I have.

I see on youtube guys starting serrations with a dremel....and several other methods to dial it in. Like I say,i can hear you all laughing at me trying to cut notches in S30V.
It would probably take more in time and money on dremel bits and diamond files just to have something in the end that looks like a second grade shop project.
But you know what they say about giving a guy a fish and feeding him for a day and teaching him to fish and feed him for life (I seem to remember something about beer also,maybe I am confused)
But I thought i would ask just how far fetched you guys think this is. As I said i am a mechanic by trade,and spending money on tools is something i am used too. the benchmade is 265,and the kershaw is under 100
so that gives me some room to work with. I would then have a knife i wasn't afraid to use and tear up.
Any advice?

See above post!!!

It's pretty hard to beat the factory serrated edges IMHO. I know if I attempted to grind in serrations with my Ryobi I'd ruin the knife.

Back