Set of three Olsen throwing knives with sheath

Hi all:
I am a rather new poster at this site, so please be gentle. After perusing various threads, it appears Brian is the Olsen expert, but many of you have interesting tidbits to share.

As a long-time thrower (since childhood) who is re-discovering a latent passion, I have been fortunate enough to acquire a pristine (NEVER used) set of three Olsen throwers with a matching fan-style three slot leather sheath. The sheath is stamped and spotless. Clearly, the quality of these knives is far beyond my ability and I feel quite lucky to have acquired them.

I have seen the occasional lone Olsen thrower with sheath, but never a set of three with matching sheath. A retired thrower with whom I trained over 40 years ago had three, but they did not appear to be part of a set and there wasn't a matching sheath. He never let me near them, much less handle them!

Anyway, any information would be greatly appreciated!

Bobby B. also has substantial knowledge. Did not want to leave him out! Again, any info on knives above is appreciated. More idle curiosity than anything else, really. :)

I still haven't thrown these, mainly because of their pristine condition. Has anyone thrown this model? Feedback? I'm planning on throwing them this week and will post my impressions. Not sure that anyone will read them, but hey: I throw knives. I'm used to my solitary pursuit! :)

I broke a couple of those in the early '70s by repeatedly throwing them hard and badly. They broke at the blade-end rivet hole.

Thanks, porch. I’m certainly fully capable of throwing badly. I’m also aware that if I break one of these, they are increasingly difficult to find... and expensive. Good info-

Well, as promised, here are my initial impressions of the Olsen throwers. In a word - wow! I focus primarily on instinctive or no-spin throwing. For overhand, sidearm, and underhand throwing, they work equally well. Their balance helps keep them from "tipping" forward in longer throws. Also, the micarta handles provide a tactile guide for finger placement. However, the micarta is also the weak point. Knife tip vs. micarta = win for knife every time. I have chipped and scratched the handles pretty badly already. Additionally, one of the knives has a small rattle now. It is probably from a loose rivet holding the micarta in place. Eventually I foresee replacing the handles with something else - perhaps leather.

The steel is highly durable and and almost impervious to damage. Deflections have actually hit rock walls with little to no damage! I have probably thrown them now 150+ times with no filing of edges or sharpening needed. Additionally, the weight helps with these sticking into almost any wood type with ease, including oak (hatchet target.) I will say that the weight makes Fedin - style throwing a bit more difficult, though that is certainly user error. :( Note: I am diligently practicing the Fedin-style method and still in the early stages, unlike Tom-Tom, Olga, and others. Someday, though....

So, though no one may see this, these are my initial impressions. FYI I also throw a variety of Cold Steel knives, including the mini-flight, pro-flight, bushman, and enormous perfect flight throwers. I also occasionally use the Sczo models, which are a great value. That's all for now, all, and keep on throwin'.

Well, your seventh sentence is the reason one should only throw one knife at a target at a time. Multi-target arrangements are easy to set up.

All competition throwing is 1 knife or 1 hawk thrown at a single target. AKTA specified a 5 target layout, IKTHOF specifies a 3 target layout, all indoor hatchet throwing venues allow 1 hatchet at a time, all EURO throws, knife and double-bit axe are 1 to a target.

Hurray for the advice and a response! My intrinsic laziness has clearly impacted both the condition of my knives and my lack of adherence to accepted competition standards. :) I have multiple targets and moving them closer together will limit multiple trips to the targets AND limit the damage to my equipment. I should have thought of that. Please keep comments and feedback coming.

I'm redoing my backyard practice area to reflect your helpful info, ZZ. Thank you again for your response.

Brief update on Olsen throwers - They continue to impress me with their ability to maintain path from all angles. Though my teaching job has limited my throwing time, I am continuing my focus on throwing from sidearm and even underhand positions. I've found that using my core (and hip rotation) for power is easier on my ancient and decrepit shoulders, both of which have been surgically "assisted." The Olsens do not seem to want to rise like other throwers. I really enjoy my cheap Cold Steel throwers, but they want hit further up on the target and rotate more unless thrown from an exactly vertical position. I am also repairing the damage I've done to the handles by not utilizing multiple targets. That was dumb on my part, by the way. Add it to the list.

Starting this weekend, I am beginning the filming of a gag video entitled, "Slingin' Sam and His Incredible Throwing Circus." It will raise money for my school and involve everything from Teddy Bear ninjas throwing spikes to the "Frisbees of Death" made from bike sprockets. Perhaps I'll post a clip eventually for the 1-2 people who actually read my drivel. :) Now, go throw!

Teddy Bear ninjas throwing spikes to the "Frisbees of Death" made from bike sprockets
I would also like to see a few thrown screwdrivers for “long distance fastening” or maybe some single lug wrenches for “changing tires without touching.” Or maybe some throwing stars painted like Christmas ornaments, thrown in groups for a Yule Tide. The possibilities for comedy gold just throw themselves at you! I definitely want to see a link to whatever you create.

What was it Sally Field said years ago at the Academy Awards? "You like me! You really like me!" I won't go so far as to assume THAT, but someone actually took the time to read my post. Amazing, but also Covid - boredom - driven. :)

To add some flava, here is a photo of my throwing area from a few months ago. I have since added some smaller targets of varying heights. The main problem is the omnipresent curse of Satan's spawn - mosquitos. No, I cannot hit them with my knives. They lie in wait for me and swarm me with gusto. The eat my bug spray and ask for more. I will say, however, that they are a convenient excuse for bad throws: "Oh, I stuck the wrong target, tree, pet, etc. Clearly it is the mosquitos who distract me."

Well, I'm getting blocked from posting my Imgur photo. Perhaps the web security daemons have seen me throw. Will try to resolve so as to provide something besides boring words. Perhaps some boring photos instead?

Back