Sewing Machine recommendations

mrknives

Gold Member
I've been making sheaths for my knives for a couple years now and am just starting the research for a new sewing machine. I'd like to stay in the 1k -2 k ball park and want to be able to sew liner material as well as the finished sheath outer.
Thanks much!

The Cowboy 3200 will stitch about 1/2 inch under $2,000 delivered. If you think that's the max thickness you will be stitching, then the Cowboy 3200 would be fine.Cobra 3 with the shorter arm length will stitch 3/4 inch. It's over $2,000 delivered. Cobra 4 same as Cobra 3 with longer arm length. Depends on what you want to stitch down the road. Some folks go with the Cobra 4 not to limit themselves on the size of the project you may want to stitch.You can also look for used machines (not so easy to find one) Artisan offers a couple machines as well. There are several members that have the Cobra's, and seem to love them. The after sale support is excellent from what I've been reading. Depending on your location, you can decide who's closer to you and go from there, Cowboy or Cobra. These are heavy stitchers used for stitching thicker leather and multiple pieces. Depending on the thickness of your liner material, you might need to go to a smaller machine such as the Cobra 18 or equivalent.

Last edited:
I've been making sheaths for my knives for a couple years now and am just starting the research for a new sewing machine. I'd like to stay in the 1k -2 k ball park and want to be able to sew liner material as well as the finished sheath outer.
Thanks much!

Brian, all of the machines mentioned so far are good quality and depending on your need for speed a good value for the money. The 441 clones, ( Cowboy, Artisan, and Cobra heavy stitchers) will do a fine job on your sheath edges, but when you get below about 6 Oz. thickness they can be a real pain in the ass. Doing your inlay and lighter work would be best served on a lighter duty flat bed machine, like the Cobra 18 or the equivalent from the other sources. Trying to make the heavy stitcher do dual duty will result, I'm sure in grand frustration because it will entail changing out needles and thread sizes AND constant screwing around with tensions which will lead to poor results in lighter work and then because of constant changing the heavy work will suffer also. Everybody would like a single machine that would do both jobs, but regardless of supplier claims , IN MY OPINION, they just won't do it. (Yes I have actually tried). You have seen many of my sheaths and they are all done using both machines. The heavy stitcher for the sheath edges and the flat bed Cobra 18 for all the other decorative work.

Now having said all that . My personal choice is the Cobra brand primarily because I have such absolute confidence in the supplier's ability to perform top notch customer service after the sale. I have replaced every single piece of motorized equipment in my shop with the Cobra brand. I have the Cobra 4, Cobra 18 and the Cobra 14 splitter, and I am totally satisfied for going on four years with all of it.

Good Luck!

Paul

Last edited:
Brian, all of the machines mentioned so far are good quality and depending on your need for speed a good value for the money. The 441 clones, ( Cowboy, Artisan, and Cobra heavy stitchers) will do a fine job on your sheath edges, but when you get below about 6 Oz. thickness they can be a real pain in the ass. Doing your inlay and lighter work would be best served on a lighter duty flat bed machine, like the Cobra 18 or the equivalent from the other sources. Trying to make the heavy stitcher do dual duty will result, I'm sure in grand frustration because it will entail changing out needles and thread sizes AND constant screwing around with tensions which will lead to poor results in lighter work and then because of constant changing the heavy work will suffer also. Everybody would like a single machine that would do both jobs, but regardless of supplier claims , IN MY OPINION, they just won't do it. (Yes I have actually tried). You have seen many of my sheaths and they are all done using both machines. The heavy stitcher for the sheath edges and the flat bed Cobra 18 for all the other decorative work.

Now having said all that . My personal choice is the Cobra brand primarily because I have such absolute confidence in the supplier's ability to perform top notch customer service after the sale. I have replaced every single piece of motorized equipment in my shop with the Cobra brand. I have the Cobra 4, Cobra 18 and the Cobra 14 splitter, and I am totally satisfied for going on four years with all of it.

Good Luck!

Paul
Thanks so much Paul! Sounds like I'll start with the heavy duty and save up to look for a pre owned cobra 18. Really appreciate all the wonderful and Frank advice from experienced hands such as yourself!

It's only been a couple short months but so far I'm very happy with my Cowboy 4500.

I took Paul's advice and purchased a Cobra 4 for my heavy work - it'll take two men and a boy to uncrate/assemble it. I use a Tippman Boss for my light work. The Cobra 4 will run you about $2700 and worth every penny

Good deal TK. Thats a great machine. Gonna replace my old Ferdco with one some day. now save your pennies and get ya the Cobra 18 too. Its a great one too. All the stitching on this pair of chinks heading to Switzerland, my wife did on her Cobra 18:

UyBlqA4.jpg

Wow I just realized this thread is a few years old
Still good info in it šŸ‘šŸ‘

Back