Sewing machines

wildmanh

Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker
Hey Guys, I'm thinking of investing in a sewing machine to help speed up my sewing. Can you guys point me in the right dirrection? Would like to hear what you guys use, pricing and where to get them. Not looking for the most expencive machines, something thats good for the money. If it helps I'd like it to handle 3 layers of 10oz leather.

I'd also like information on the right types of thread and thicknesses to use with the machine. Thanks,

Heber

Last edited:
Gotta ask the wife, she's the boss of the BOSS. :p I dont mess with her machines, I know better, lol :)

Gotta ask the wife, she's the boss of the BOSS. :p I dont mess with her machines, I know better, lol :)

Would you mind asking for me about the different threads avaliable for the BOSS? Would sure help me out. Thanks,

Heber

Hi Heber!
We have used Nylon and Polyester threads. Right now I am using the Nylon because the thread Dwayne uses on his sheaths is a waxed Nylon. The Nylon is a little coarser but it wasn't too hard to adjust the machine to use it. I also like the size 277 (it is a nice look not too thin not too thick).
At first you will want to sew a lot of scrap leather to get used to the tension and feel of the machine.
Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else.
Stacy

I would recommend the Cobra Class 3 / Artisan Toro 3000, which is the machine that I have. They are the same machine sold by two different dealers. The Cobra is sold by Steve Tayrien who is one of the most knowledgable dealers in the world for leather sewing machines.

This machine is a powered machine versus the Tippman Boss which is powered by you when you pull the lever. Onepull=one stitch. These sewing machines are very commom in the leather industry and I believe some of the other sheath makers on this board use them as well. I would go to leatherworker.net and read up on sewing machines there and ask some questions, you will recieve a much better response there since it is a leatherworking website.

Good Luck in your search,

Nick

I know this may not be a "good" response but I do like the one pull one stitch for many reasons. One Price. Two - pretty easy to not mess up a sheath when you go slowly. I can make sure that I position my needle exactly where I want it. As a person with MANY sewing machines I know how easy it is to get a little carried away with the pedal and have the machine take off in a direction I didn't want to go.
Realize I have not used an Artisan but that is by choice.
Stacy
Happily the owner of a BOSS for four years.

I know this may not be a "good" response but I do like the one pull one stitch for many reasons. One Price. Two - pretty easy to not mess up a sheath when you go slowly. I can make sure that I position my needle exactly where I want it. As a person with MANY sewing machines I know how easy it is to get a little carried away with the pedal and have the machine take off in a direction I didn't want to go.
Realize I have not used an Artisan but that is by choice.
Stacy
Happily the owner of a BOSS for four years.

Stacy, thanks for your two posts. I really apreciate it. I too know what it's like to get carried away with the foot peddle. Did lots of sewing in Middle school and high school and botched up many a nylon pouch from going to fast. The fact that the BOSS doesn't need power apeals to me right now. Am looking at getting some land out in the county in the next 3 years and moving there. Power can be finicky out there and not needing it for the sewing machine means I can keep going even if there is non for a while.

The Artisian came up in my search for a good sewing Machine for nylon. Might look into it, but so far the BOSS is at the top of my list. :thumbup:

With that said, I still want to hear more about the Artisian 3000 and other machines. Can the 3000 do 5 stitches per inch? The info I found says up to 3 per inch. Thats way to few for what I want. Hope I'm reading it wrong.

Heber

Heber, here is the link to the Toro 3000.

http://www.artisansew.com/manualsfiles/TORO-3000 Flyer w parts no price.pdf

You can call Jerry Zonis, the owner of Artisan Sewing Supplies at the toll free number and get all your questions answered, pronto. I have used Artisan machines for about 6 years and so far they have been bullet proof and trouble free. I started out with a Tippman Boss (one of the very first, serial number 0003) and graduated from that to the Artisan Toro 4000 (the 3000 had not yet been developed) and Artisan 797ABLTHR. The Cobra machine Nick referenced must be a good machine also, but my only experience has been with Artisan.

The boss is a good way to start (I did), but you will outgrow it if you do any volume.

Thread? I use 207 top and bottom for my sheaths, but as Stacy said 277 is a real good choice also, just little bit heavier.

Paul

I started out with a Tippmann "Boss" like Paul. At the time it was the answer to my prayers! Then the Arftisan Toro 3000 came on the scene! Immediate love affair with a machine that I can not praise high enough. Sort of liked graduating from a VW to a Rolls Royce.

I use 207 and 277 nylon for all my stitching, sometimes with the 277 as a top thread and the 207 as the bobbin thread. As far as the machine running wild--only if you are spastic! The 3000 will stitch as slow as you want to go with very little experience and as fast as any operator would desire.--------and it is LESS than twice the cost of a "Boss" ---Sandy---

I started out with a Tippmann "Boss" like Paul. At the time it was the answer to my prayers! Then the Arftisan Toro 3000 came on the scene! Immediate love affair with a machine that I can not praise high enough. Sort of liked graduating from a VW to a Rolls Royce.

I use 207 and 277 nylon for all my stitching, sometimes with the 277 as a top thread and the 207 as the bobbin thread. As far as the machine running wild--only if you are spastic! The 3000 will stitch as slow as you want to go with very little experience and as fast as any operator would desire.--------and it is LESS than twice the cost of a "Boss" ---Sandy---

Sandy, can you control how many stitches per inch there are with the Artisan 3000? Currently I do 4 stitches per inch (5 holes) and would like to do the same with the sewing machine. Thanks for the input.

Heber

I would like to hear about the stitch length on the Artisan. Dwayne has fro years tried to talk me into it but I keep a hold on my BOSS (I can dial my stitch length any way I want it).
Thanks,
Stacy
www.armoralleather.com

I would like to hear about the stitch length on the Artisan. Dwayne has fro years tried to talk me into it but I keep a hold on my BOSS (I can dial my stitch length any way I want it).
Thanks,
Stacy
www.armoralleather.com

All the Artisans have the stitch length adjustment feature also. Easy quick adjustment..Dial on the flat beds and similar on the stitchers.:D
Also a speed reducer for those who would rather not go 90 all the time.
Also have a reverse stitch feature not found on the Boss. (at least not easily).
Also other stuff I can't even remember, but it's there!:eek:
Hanging onto your Boss for a while might be good idea until you get past the learning curve on the Artisan.

Paul

Last edited:
Back