sgian dubh

And there I know you saw "Kill the Irishman". I admit that scene was absolutely hilarious !

Dave, you ever try your hand at one?

No I never have. The first knife I ever made back when I was 17 was a dirk though. I used a stag shed I brought back from the side of Ben Cruachan. Used coffee to stain the shed, piece of aluminum for the bolster and for a pommel cap and ground down an old butcher knife for the blade. I have no idea where that is any more. Rather fond of haggis, they use to serve it for school lunches believe it or not. Slangevar! Wee bit of the Laphroaig.

Top shelf of our little cantina here in the house. First round is on me:

dmoypW2.jpg

DobQTn8.jpg

No I never have. The first knife I ever made back when I was 17 was a dirk though. I used a stag shed I brought back from the side of Ben Cruachan. Used coffee to stain the shed, piece of aluminum for the bolster and for a pommel cap and ground down an old butcher knife for the blade. I have no idea where that is any more. Rather fond of haggis, they use to serve it for school lunches believe it or not. Slangevar! Wee bit of the Laphroaig.

Top shelf of our little cantina here in the house. First round is on me:

dmoypW2.jpg

DobQTn8.jpg
If love to see your version of one. Maybe I’ll commission one when I hit the lottery! ;)

Save the bucks build it yourself. Robbie Gordon sells all the parts. Kinda cool.

In High School my Father took me to Madison Square Garden to see the Band of the Black Watch perform. When it was over we walked by some of the bandsman and I noticed one did not have to worry about his sign dub slipping down into his hose as he just had the handle of one just tattooed on his leg. Did not have to worry about losing it either. John

The_Battle_of_Culloden.jpg

This painting by David Morier depicts the charge of the Highlanders at the battle of Culloden in 1746. Shortly thereafter highland dress, the wearing of tartan, playing of bagpipes and the carrying of any arms were outlawed for about 50 years. Historically what is important about this painting is that the Highlanders painted were actual participants in the battle and were POWs. They were wearing their own clothing and arms. While we got basket hilted broadswords (and perhaps one backsword, the center one), dirks, targes with and without spikes, a captured spitoon and a Lochaber Axe (maybe), not a sgian dhu in sight. Must all be in leg hair braided shoulder holsters under the jackets!

The smiling fellow looks to be wearing my clan's tartan (Kerr). The "Dark Knife" is only worn displayed (visible above the stocking line) ceremonially. It would be hidden normally, although where exactly I am not entirely certain.

In my life, Scottish people have generally referred to those as ‘dirks’. Yes, I know the distinction, and I understand the obsession. I spent my childhood dotting across the English/Scottish border, with family on both sides. To me it is a dirk. As to how it could be carried up the sleeve? Use your imagination, man. It is not rocket surgery. A thong, a tie, a scabbard, any number of ways. How would you conceal a dirk? Go on, it isn’t difficult.

Back