• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Shameless flippers

Welcome. Feel free to list your items at what you feel is a fair price. If you want to sell a few knives and are asking a bit much, the market will let you know because no one will buy it. It's probably good to understand that threads like this aren't really about people trying to make a profit selling a knife they own. The people we are talking about are usually immediately obvious. It's usually right around the time one of the Spyderco sprint runs drop, you start seeing a bunch of these knives posted for sale, with wording like "Catch and release!" or "Wasn't for me!" as the knives start hitting mailboxes. And (snaps fingers) wouldn't you know it, somehow "Just didn't love it" or "Need to recoup funds" always seems to mean a 100-200% markup. Just crazy. Interestingly, it tends to be a few of the same people, but also a bunch of new flipper opportunists have started showing up. It's always people with super low post counts, but feedback ratings nearly as high.

Those people are trash, and need to eff off to eBay. That's my opinion, and I'm stickin' to it.

I'm not hurting for money nor am I super desperate to part with any of my knives so for the next few weeks I'm gonna chill and enjoy the forum. If I post some pictures and some says " man I want one of them but I can't seem to find one" and it's one of the knives I was gonna part with. Then I'll PM them and give them the opportunity. For me it's more about having my babies goto there forever home. Everyone single knife I own had sentimental value. That doesn't mean that inflates the value of the knife, it just means I am in no hurry to see them goto a flipper. Once I do post them I will look as see if they are "part of the problem" group. And as I reserve the right to sell to who I want, pass on letting them buy from me. I hope that doesn't give anyone a sour taste or opinion of me.

I'm not hurting for money nor am I super desperate to part with any of my knives so for the next few weeks I'm gonna chill and enjoy the forum. If I post some pictures and some says " man I want one of them but I can't seem to find one" and it's one of the knives I was gonna part with. Then I'll PM them and give them the opportunity. For me it's more about having my babies goto there forever home. Everyone single knife I own had sentimental value. That doesn't mean that inflates the value of the knife, it just means I am in no hurry to see them goto a flipper. Once I do post them I will look as see if they are "part of the problem" group. And as I reserve the right to sell to who I want, pass on letting them buy from me. I hope that doesn't give anyone a sour taste or opinion of me.

I would also recommend maybe heading over to the General Knife Discussion, looking around and joining some conversations. Bladeforums is a community, and many of us longtime members see it as such. Stick around, be visible, participate, and I think you'll find it's a fantastic place filled with great people. You post up your knives in the Exchange and people will see you and remember you from your postings, and then boom, your knives get bought by folks who will use and enjoy them.

Everyone wins!

It is annoying indeed...
You see this in production and custom made knives, the maker releases a couple of knives, or the factory a limited run...bought in a snap, and in few days they pop up twice or thrice the price...

Now how bad you want those?
Do you have the funds to spend?
Can you wait for another chance to get one?
Stick around man... you'll find some genuinely good people who will resell for a real reason at the same price or with a slight profit... it adds for the excitement, and makes real friends and bro-migos.

You can also add to ignore list immediately and watch while market sets the flipper back to the righteous path.

It is annoying indeed...
You see this in production and custom made knives, the maker releases a couple of knives, or the factory a limited run...bought in a snap, and in few days they pop up twice or thrice the price...

Now how bad you want those?
Do you have the funds to spend?
Can you wait for another chance to get one?
Stick around man... you'll find some genuinely good people who will resell for a real reason at the same price or with a slight profit... it adds for the excitement, and makes real friends and bro-migos.

You can also add to ignore list immediately and watch while market sets the flipper back to the righteous path.

Really? And how does one set a ignore list? I have a bottle of Mt. DEW and a bucket of popcorn. Been looking for a trainwreck to watch unfold.

Click on someone's username and you'll see the ignore option to click.
Is it just people I put on the list or does it get juicy and I can see all the swine? Figurative speaking of course. SWINE as quite smart animals... flippers not so much.

Is it just people I put on the list or does it get juicy and I can see all the swine? Figurative speaking of course. SWINE as quite smart animals... flippers not so much.

It's a personal list so you only see, well actually don't see, the folks you place there. Their post will show and it will just be a message that says you're ignoring that person, but you can click it to peek. I also believe you won't see any threads that they start.

If one were seeking the juiciness, the chum for the sharks, and other not so safe for work or polite chatter, there is another place to congregate. You'll find the road to the abyss eventually. Good luck and godspeed. :D;)

I don't know how to put this delicately, but in my opinion flipper threads are the dumbest of dumb threads.

Knife flippers generally don't last long. Nobody needs a knife so badly that he's going to spend 2x money on it. Nobody needs a knife anyway, it's not vital to life in any way.

The uneducated buyer theory? Doesn't wash. Anyone who leaps into a deal on the internet obviously has the internet at his disposal. I have no sympathy for anyone who won't do the simplest research, and thus over pays for anything.

But, bear in mind that some people will freely overspend for something he really wants.

Really, this all boils down to whatever force of nature makes people complain about how others park. The guy selling th eknife owns the knife and has no obligation to anyone but himself. The guy buying the knife has one hundred percent, complete, no holds barred control over his money.

It's a personal list so you only see, well actually don't see, the folks you place there. Their post will show and it will just be a message that says you're ignoring that person, but you can click it to peek. I also believe you won't see any threads that they start.

If one were seeking the juiciness, the chum for the sharks, and other not so safe for work or polite chatter, there is another place to congregate. I think you may your way there eventually. Good luck and godspeed. :D;)
Yes sir I lurk there quite a bit. Juuuiiiccceee indeed.

I presume the mention of sending the 1099 was so that the flipper would have the trouble with the IRS, not @fonedork. Personally, I would find that hilarious.
i take his point. :thumbsup: But there is no place on a 1099 for a "payer" to report income to a vendor from sales.

"The guy selling th[e] ...knife owns the knife and has no obligation to anyone but himself....["]

An awful moral state, and contrary to law for a merchant in respect to the goods sold. That person has obligations by statute and Common Law.

The most effective way to discourage greedy flippers is to report the person and let the mods determine the outcome.
No one wants to see price gouging, or someone selling three of the same limited run being sold here. All of us here can and should make a difference in our community to keep the sleazy flippers at bay.
Let them go somewhere else to carry out their heinous ways, we collectively, don’t want it here because with as many people that are on this forum, some sap will be willing to pay.

I don't think the mods can do much unless the flipper repeatedly sells brand new multiples of a limited run. Just don't buy from those flippers. If nobody buys, they will either lower the price or go away.

I don't know the particular sales thread that began this post ... but am plenty familiar with the type of thread and flippers ...

and although I agree it's poor taste and annoying as can be to see flippers buying sprint runs to list at twice the price the next day ... if members buy them ... it only fuels the fire and you see more of it all ...

I also don't like to see anyone buy a knife for the sole purpose of reselling at a profit even from other members here ...

but I do not think the mods. should be called out on it at all ... with the exception if a member is doing it often enough that they should be paying for a dealer's membership ... then perhaps reporting it to a moderator is good go IMHO ...

having said all that ... there is a couple simple things we as members can do to change the whole mess ...

first ... refuse to buy knives that are way over priced by flippers ... and after they have to eat what they gave because members refuse to deal with them for that reason ... which may make them stop trying to take advantage of people ...

and another is just something I do (and I am not much on selling knives so it's not that me alone doing this would ever affect change) ... but if members would do this ...

simply look at a potential sellers (and buyers in my case) ... profile page and check out their "post areas" ...

if they have the vast majority of their posts are showing in the exchanges ... and they really don't take time to contribute and participate in the forums through discussions and contributions to posts ...

I will simple just not only refuse to buy from them ... but I refuse to sell to them also ...

but unless and until each member will do that ... it will continue and get worse ... so though a knife may clearly be priced ridiculously high ... they are and always will be worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

so convince your friends and forum buddies to just refuse to allow it to happen on this forum ... or if you aren't willing to take that extra time ... be angry about it ... but don't try to put it on a moderator to fix the issue ...

rant and my 2 cents worth (which not worth near 2 cents these days) over ...

- JJ

so if it is truly a bother to you ... don't put it on moderators ... take it into your own hands and simply refuse to deal with them ... that will effectively end their "flipping" at least on our forum here we all love so much.

I don't know the particular sales thread that began this post ... but am plenty familiar with the type of thread and flippers ...

and although I agree it's poor taste and annoying as can be to see flippers buying sprint runs to list at twice the price the next day ... if members buy them ... it only fuels the fire and you see more of it all ...

I also don't like to see anyone buy a knife for the sole purpose of reselling at a profit even from other members here ...

but I do not think the mods. should be called out on it at all ... with the exception if a member is doing it often enough that they should be paying for a dealer's membership ... then perhaps reporting it to a moderator is good go IMHO ...

having said all that ... there is a couple simple things we as members can do to change the whole mess ...

first ... refuse to buy knives that are way over priced by flippers ... and after they have to eat what they gave because members refuse to deal with them for that reason ... which may make them stop trying to take advantage of people ...

and another is just something I do (and I am not much on selling knives so it's not that me alone doing this would ever affect change) ... but if members would do this ...

simply look at a potential sellers (and buyers in my case) ... profile page and check out their "post areas" ...

if they have the vast majority of their posts are showing in the exchanges ... and they really don't take time to contribute and participate in the forums through discussions and contributions to posts ...

I will simple just not only refuse to buy from them ... but I refuse to sell to them also ...

but unless and until each member will do that ... it will continue and get worse ... so though a knife may clearly be priced ridiculously high ... they are and always will be worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

so convince your friends and forum buddies to just refuse to allow it to happen on this forum ... or if you aren't willing to take that extra time ... be angry about it ... but don't try to put it on a moderator to fix the issue ...

rant and my 2 cents worth (which not worth near 2 cents these days) over ...

- JJ

so if it is truly a bother to you ... don't put it on moderators ... take it into your own hands and simply refuse to deal with them ... that will effectively end their "flipping" at least on our forum here we all love so much.

Well said. Cheers.

I get the whole"don't buy and they will go away" frame of mind but sometimes they won't and sometimes certain wording rubs people just the wrong way. In the thread mentioned it seemed the seller was quite arrogant about the fact that he had a special pointy thing and if you wanted it screw you or pay his price. In this instance it was handled exactly how it needed to be.

When I 1st started participating on the exchanges, flippers and low ballers really annoyed me. I found it was getting in the way of my enjoyment of buying and selling and stopped worrying about what they were doing . Neither are going away, but I don't have to play along. No matter what the price I can't buy every knife I want, and I don't have to buy or sell at any price I don't want either. They certainly won't be getting any good member awards, but they aren't worth getting upset over.
If you feel they are breaking the rule on being a dealer, you can report them, but In most cases I would look at the thread and be gone.

Last edited:
Back