Shanghai Warrior

Has any of you gotten one of these? I'm getting ready to bite the bullet on one but I'd like to know your opinions on the knife. Sound like a good deal for $45?

It's a big, double edged ring dagger. It's not really a utility knife, it's basically a fighting knife, so if you don't intend on going into lethal hand to hand combat, or at the least, practice martial arts with live blades(I also hear the smaller Shanghai Warrior is good for throwing, I assume this one would be too), it's not gonna be much practical use. That said, the materials are fine and it's well made, so if you like the design, it's a fine deal...it's just up to you if you want to spend your money on a design that's intended primarily as a weapon.

Well, I've got the Shanghai Shadow which I used as a spear head and has held up quite well to cardboard and soft wood cutting/throwing. I believe it'd excel as a weapon and would make deep slashes and terrible entry wounds, wide and deep.

DSC06882_zpswjcpn7jp.jpg

I liked to play with the ring but found it to be quite dangerous without experience or training. It came really sharp and is easy to mantain that way, but mine rusted after I neglected it out in the basement for a couple months.

DSC06881_zpsrrf2jikb.jpg

I think it's a great, tough chunk of steel for the money, and is really fun to play with! I liked the sheath as well. Secure, and didn't dull the blade (at least mine) with extraction and reinsertion. So, if the Warrior is even bigger, I'd bet it will be even funnier!

DSC06879_zpscbf9bsxg.jpg

DSC06880_zpsnbccmzh2.jpg

I'd say go for it!

Love the spear! I will end up getting it, probably the closest I'll get to a smatchet. A design I've always admired.

I've got the Warrior and like Gary above, it's probably the closest I'll get to a more traditional Smatchet. I see Boker is offering a limited edition Smatchet but I'm done spending $300 for one knife. I've also got the Shanghai Shadow and both it and the Warrior are unique, very cool looking, and reasonably priced knives, in my opinion.

I've got the Warrior and like Gary above, it's probably the closest I'll get to a more traditional Smatchet. I see Boker is offering a limited edition Smatchet but I'm done spending $300 for one knife. I've also got the Shanghai Shadow and both it and the Warrior are unique, very cool looking, and reasonably priced knives, in my opinion.

Windlass Steelcrafts makes a Smatchet, runs around $95 I think, if you're willing to spend that for one knife. Windlass quality can be hit or miss though. I'll probably try one, eventually, since I want a Smatchet too. I got Cold Steel's machete version, but I'd like one closer to the real thing...

The British traded something quite similar with the local natives up here, during the Fur Trade. I know a guy that found an original while metal detecting. The only references that I have read about their use by the natives, from fur trade journals, was them stabbing the hell out of each other when jacked up on trade rum. I never found the knife appealing.

http://rockymtncollege.proboards.com/thread/273/sorby-dag

Back