Shapemaker Tri -Angle ?

I have a lansky that uses a clamp for the blade Does the shapemaker have this ? I know you guys rave about it! I just wanna be sure I get the right one ! Please let me know if the tri angle is the one everyone is using or if not what is ? Is there a better one then the shapmaker that is just as easy to use ?

Well, I know you asked about the Sharpmaker, but I'll tell you about the EdgePro Apex :D

The Sharpmaker 204 is the tri-angle that everyone talks about. It does not have a guide. The priciple of operation is to hold the knife perpendicular to the surface the sharpmaker is resting on and slide the blade down the stone. I had one, used it many times, and like many others found it adequate, but unable to really do a nice job.

I just recently purchased an EdgePro Apex from Ben. It's by far the best sharpening system I've used. There is no jig to clamp the knife in. Rather it sits on a bed and you pass the stone over the edge. This allows you to transfer all the force you apply to the stone directly to the blade while at the same time supporting it.

Using the Apex, I can put a super sharp, perfectly even edge on any knife I own (except the convex grinds :( ). It also doesn't do serrations as well as the Spyderco. It'll cost you a lot more, but if you have a lot of knives and sharpen regularly it's worth it. It also works wonders on kitchen knives. Read some reviews of both systems and see what suits you best. If anything, send a knife to Ben for a free sharpening to see what the EdgePro is capable of. You'll be impressed.

That be kewl but i have no idea who ben is :) Where can I get the EdgePro Apex ?
Thanks for the Info !

I just bought a spyderco sharpmaker and I really like it.

Chief_Wiggum,
It's people like you that keeps me spending money, stop it! ;)

Some day I will probly try the Apex.

I have a Spyderco Sharpmaker 204, as well as a few other sharpening contraptions, but lately I have found my way back to my Smith's Tri-Hone, and I kind of like the free-hand method again.

Originally posted by glockman99
I have a Spyderco Sharpmaker 204, as well as a few other sharpening contraptions, but lately I have found my way back to my Smith's Tri-Hone, and I kind of like the free-hand method again.

I agree with the Cool Mod.:D

I have never used the Sharpmaker, but have a Lansky, never use it. Learn to free hand sharpen and there is nothing that cannot be sharpened well. I like stones, wet/dry sand paper hones and strops loaded with Chromium oxide or Si grits. Forget the contraptions, go with stones. Recurves blades: a large ceramic stick and strop loaded with CO will go a long way.

One thing to consider, you will never have a jig type sharpening setup hunting, fishing, backpack or when you really need it. But its easy to keep a small stone or ceramic stick in the briefcase, daypack or whereever.

Good Luck;)

The Sharpmaker is good for quick touch ups, but I like guides and stones for doing real work.
Razor Edge Systems www.razoredgesystems.com has guides you can buy separately and use with your own stones. I use theirs, and alternate between arkansas stones and water stones. Then I finish with a strop.

Back