Sharp & Smith unknown pattern

KnifeHead

My life, my lover, my lady is the C...Carbon Steel
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Interesting little 3" knife picked up at a "man-shack" meeting. Only thing on the blade is Sharp & Smith. Sharp and Smith was a maker of surgical instruments. That's all we know. Anyone know what job this knife was created for? Age? Also posted in BRL's forum.

sharp&smith1.jpg

sharp&smith2.jpg

It could be some sort of strange castrator-type affair. Other than that... I got nothin'.

James

Thats what I was thinking, that it looked like a gut hook. Or some sort of torture implement.

I have no idea really but its fun to figure. Could it be used to widen incisions? Or maybe remove stitches?

Reminds me of a flamingo. No solid idea what this one was for though.

-- Dwight

Could be some type of pruner,or fruitpickers knife.
Vince

nice interesting piece.you picked up. I did not find an exact match of your blade pattern but a close looking blade is a Ronchetto Valtellinese a type of pruning knife used for grapevine growing. the other close match is a timber scribe. Nether of these make much sense as you stated Sharp&Smith made surg. inst. out of Chicago Ill. so a possibility is a modified veterinary knife or Hoof knife. pretty neat score what ever it is. hope some one else can give you more info.

I have had 2 people tell me this is a folding hoof trimmer for horses. One said his dad had one similar when he was a kid. It is interesting and very well made. It walks and talks very good also.

Back