Sharpen 710 with Edgepro Apex??

I have Benchmade 710s in both M2 and D2. Both have crappy factory edges that can't shave hair and rip through cardboard rather than cut it, as compared to other knives I own such as Spydie Caly 3, BM 940 and CR small Sebenza which slice through cardboard like butter with no modifications. I have tried to sharpen both 710s on a sharpmaker with diamond stones, with no luck. Can I break out my Edgepro Apex to sharpen the 710s, or will the width of the Edgepro stones ruin the recurve of the 710?? Thanks for any and all assistance with my frustrating situation.

The EdgePro does recurves very well. I just twist the handle so the just the edge of the stone hits the blade. Grip the handle of the Apex like a pen between your index and middle finger. It helps to lock the sideways angle of the stone. I've done Hawkbills this way with no problem. With extreme curves like a Hawkbill it's slower but that's only due repositioning the blade on the table to keep the edge perpendicular to the stroke of the stone. On a slight recurve like the 710 the repositioning can be done on the fly with just a slight pivot and becomes second nature after a few swipes of the stone.

Back