Sharpened Baseball Bat

a.k.a. the BirGorkha Tarwar.

Kids:

Since the forum has taken on a slight sword bent, I'd like to find out what folks' experience with the Tarwar is.

To preface, I picked one up during the Maoist sale. It's a beautiful Bura with a handle that would set our resident woodchucks to drooling. But, this same handle is so thick, I have a hard time keeping a secure grasp on this monster. Plus, that blade ain't light.

So, who has done some swinging of the Tarwar? Do you use it one- or two-handed? What mods have you made to the handle? (Personally, I'd hate to change the handle's overall shape.) I'm especially hoping that a certain butcher of innocent tatami men has used one against his second-favorite prey (carjackers being #1 according to old threads), and can weigh-in. But, I welcome info from everyone.

S.

I kid my Bando pals about their 1073 katas because when the chips are down you only need three -- or one. Same with Tarwar -- whatever works best for you. Practice a little and it'll tell you what to do.

Spence,
Just got a Bura Tarwar,handle fits me ok, can use one or two hands,my wrists are a little thick so it makes it easier to handle!
Do I like it as much as my new Kantana?? Don't know yet but leaning towards the KANTANA! WOULDN'T TAKE EITHER OVER MY KUK'S AS A WEAPON!!
jim

I found the handle for my Chitlangi was too big for my dainty little hands. One way to fix this is to sand the handle down slightly. I covered the brass fixtures with tape and sanded slowly, trying not to lose too much of the original carving on the handle. :eek:

Work slowly and then do a search for Walosi's woodchucking threads to finish the wood.

Jim:

Thanks for the info. It sounds like you're built along sturdier lines than I am.

I think the Tarwar is going to be a two-hander for me. My Tarwar has a slight curve towards the point which gives makes it another weight-forward blade. If yours is weighted similarly, I can understand prefering a more weight-neutral sword design (but I wouldn't want to receive a Tarwar cut anytime soon).

S.

I've seen some bad cuts & I don't want to get cut bY ANY blade! When I p/u my Tarwar, I keep hearing music from Conan The Barb. seems apropreate to me!!:D Sturdy,Naw I'm just old & slow ,just an old wannabe!:)
jim

Back