Sharpened Swedge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Cox

I carry a Spyderco Native.
I have sharpened the top swedge of the blade, which has made it a double-edged spear-point.
Yes, I have in the past cut myself with it several times.
However, I have now built up enough subconscious handling patterns to where I no longer cut myself too badly or too often. :)

Recently, in the January 2004 edition of TACTICAL KNIVES (page 12) I have seen a picture of the Nemesis which Frank (moderator) has, I believe, previously posted on this forum.
The picture shows an opened Nemesis laying across a folded Nemesis.

I noticed about five sixths of the swedge on top of the folded Nemesis's blade seems contained, or protected, by the handle scales.
Hmmm.
How interesting.

Now, I also have a Buck Nighthawk, the blade of which I have recontoured using various stones and abrasive papers.
It only took me a coupla hundred hours.
I didn't sharpen the swedge on the Nighthawk, but I did transform the blade into a much more effective piece of antipersonnel steel.
However, as I said, it took many hours of hand labor and, for whatever I gained, I also lost the very nice flat black finish of the Nighthawk.

I think Frank can see where I plan to go with this.

Questions:

Do the scales guard the swedge sufficiently to justify sharpening the swedge?

How much, if at all, does the swedge project above the scales?

Who on the design team could/should I talk to about sharpening the swedge at the factory, prior to final finish?

Sharpening the swedge of the Nemesis would make it the definitive Italian folding-stiletto.
From the first, I have not perceived the Nemesis as a multi-purpose knife at all, but rather as a self-defense anti-personnel knife.
Most knives presently designed for this purpose lack sufficient point.
The Nemesis has point, and with a sharpened swedge I think it would qualify as the premier folding self-defense knife.
Removing metal in order to sharpen the swedge may decrease the bending strength of the blade a tiny amount, but the blade will still have more strength in the blade than it does at the pivot.

So, to whom do I write?

Ken,

What you are thinking is certainly interesting. Several people have had the same thoughts. But I can tell you that there is no plan to make the folder with a sharpened upper edge...nor is it recommended that the user make the modification...for the obvious reasons.
Hope that helps!

What obvious reasons?
Does the back of the Nemesis blade project above the scales when folded?
The picture I mentioned in my first post doesn't have quite enough light in it.
I can see that about one sixth of the swedge lies exposed, but the remaining five sixths of the swedge appear protected by the scales.
Please elaborate.

It is protected but the factory is not going to produce a double edged folder. The main reason is that it is very difficult to produce a double edged knife in Italy. The laws there are about the same as making machine guns in the US...very tough. Even though the edge is somewhat protected they would be (are) very wary of the liability issues in a double edged folder. This will not happen!
I hope this answers your questions.

But ER did make a double-edged knife and sold it here in America.

Here in the US a manufacturer can still make full auto machine guns.
The American laws restrict the sale of any new machine guns, and not their manufacture.
I know Frank just meant that as an analogy.

I have a sense I might have touched a sore spot, here.
I can't tell.
I had my gall bladder out yesterday and now I have enough pills in me to make me float around on the ceiling.
I'd like to pursue this but I also don't want to cause trouble.

A parallel here in Oregon:

Oregon law allows automatic knives and double-edged knives as long as the bearer does not conceal them.
Despite that, a local cutlery dealer will not sell Benchmade Autos, manufactured here in Oregon, to civilian Oregonians.
Legal or not, he does not want to make waves with the local Law Enforcement.
I disagree with him, but if I don't like it, I guess I can open my own cutlery shop.

I could buy a Nemesis and sharpen the swedge myself.
I know from experience with my Nighthawk it takes many, many hours of handwork.
With power tools one runs the risk of ruining the heat treatment.
Also, doing it at home and by hand destroys the factory finish.

I don't mean to bug Frank about this.
I guess I could learn Italian and write directly to the factory. :)

Yes they do/did make a double edged fixed blade. If you want to sharpen the blade yourself then that will be your decision. It is not a sore spot...just not a debateable point. They will not make a double edged folder...I have discussed this with them before. Please feel free to contact the factory directly...you will receive the same reply. I hope I do not sound gruff but I have travelled this road before.
I hope this answers your concerns.

Frank Miller

Well, if Frank doesn't mind, I'd like to give it a try.
How should I contact them, and who?
I don't speak or write Italian.
Could Frank steer me to an English-reading contact?
I believe Frank has my email address.

Does the Nemesis remind anyone else of a Star Wars light saber?

Ken:

You will most likely have much more success in getting a US blade smith to sharpen the back of that blade. You might try contacting some of the custom makers on the forum for that type of service. I would have to agree with Frank re: the likelyhood of the factory doing that because of the complexity and inflexibilty of Italian weapons laws. For example, it's almost imposible for a civilian to own a firearm chambering any military or LEO (virtually the same thing there) cartridge. Just the way it is. "Welcome to California. :D Now go home." type of attitude from that side of the pond.

Stuart

Frank and Stu's comments would make sense except for the fact that ER has made double-edged knives in the past, and I think I might still find one on the internet.

As far as going to an American bladesmith and having him sharpen the swedge, I could do it myself.
However, it won't look like a factory ER knife anymore, regardless of who does it, because of the increased "white."

I fail to see the distinction between a double-edged folder and a double-edged fixed blade.
I know of no laws, state or national, that make that distinction.
From my experience, laws regarding double-edged knives apply to folders and fixed-blades alike.

Additionally, I have had a double-edged blade of my own manufacture heat treated in Canada, which itself prohibits double-edged knives.
The Canadians allowed my knife in and out of Canada for heat treatment because it would return to me, in a locale that allows double-edged knives.

ER has a Blade Customization page on their website with a Coming Soon notice on it.
Got to the Restricted Area and click on Blade Customization below Coming Soon.

I could contact ER directly, and maybe I should, now that I know how, and find out if Blade Customization will eventually include a factory double-edge to my design on a Nemesis.
I would think, though, that ER would want these types of queries to come through their American Distributor.

Anyway, Oregon State and Deschutes County, where I live in Bend, Oregon, both allow double-edged fixed blades and folders, as well as automatic knives, as long as the bearer does not conceal them.
I think a manufacturer can make firearms and knives for export, regardless of whether they can distribute them in their own country.
Beretta and H&K do this.

It surprises me that anyone would equate a factory finish to an aftermarket modification.
I hope that Frank will check again with the factory, and maybe even "go to bat" for us Americans who live in locales that allow this type of knife.
I know that if I had the American Distributorship for a knife as desireable as a double-edged Nemesis, I would lobby hard.

However, if I get another "can't get there from here" I'll just take care of it myself.
Assuming another $100 for a factory customization of this type, that would bump this knife up to $400.
For that kind of money I could get a custom maker like Gene Osborn to simply make me a copy with steel liners, carbon-fiber scales and an ATS-34 blade.
I'd much rather have an ER double-edged Nemesis, a Mil-Spec Italian Stilleto made of N690, than a knock-off made of Japanese steel, so maybe I should start pestering ER myself.

By the way, I fly helicopters for a living and, in the past, I have had the opportunity to fly Agusta 109's on two contracts.
They design and manufacture Agusta 109's in Italy.
Nothing else flying can touch an Agusta for speed, power and elegance.
The Italians know how to work metal better than anyone else on this planet.
Kinda like Ferrari and Ducati, eh?
I think it goes all the way back to the Etruscans.

I don't mean to get in Frank's face about this.
If, after a couple of rounds of correspondence with the factory they still refuse to make a custom double-edged Nemesis for me, I'll come back here and apologize for my insistence.

However, if the factory will make and export this knife, it will sell like the proverbial hotcake.
The line starts here, boys.

Ken,

Sorry you do noy like my answers, but they do not change. The factory will NOT make a double edged NEMESIS.I have asked and I have been told. If you need to personally satisfy your interest please contact them directly.
If you would like to call me directly toll free 866-883-9444 I would be glad to explain this situation in a very detailed manner.

Well, I took Frank up on his offer to call him, and I feel good about it now.
Frank gave me a lot of his time and explained the situation in detail - really not anything he hasn't said already.
However, I feel now that Frank really has traveled down this road with ER and, as he says, "It won't happen."
I appreciate that, and I apologize for my excessive insistence on this issue.
Sometimes you just don't know how it will go until you push.
Anyway, thanks to Frank for his patience and courtesy.
He runs a great forum and represents a super knife manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back