Sharpener

What is a good sharpener for field use it needs to quick to use and compact. Thanks in advance.

My favorite is the Eze-Lap Sportsman model. It's a diamond rod that screws into a brass handle.
Scott

DMT makes some great folding hones, about 4" long, as well as some shorter models that work great for backpacking, travelling light.

2 small pieces of wet dry sandpaper. 300 grit and 800 grit. Nothing lighter or easier.

Skam

Spyderco/Byrd Duckfoot

by200_thumb.jpg

DMT double sided sharpeners are light and seem to last forever if you keep them clean, and are available in a variety of grit sizes. An extra coarse/coarse and a fine/extra fine will take care of most any sharpening you'll need to do in the field or anywhere else.
Spyderco makes a sweet double sided, (medium and fine grit) pocket sharpener which also works really well in the field.
Both use water for lubrication/cleaning, so no need for messy oil.
Don't lose them because they aren't cheap.

From reading about the sand paper and how to put a convex adge on the knifes. Thats all i been using now. There is no way back to any stone anymore. Its easy and very fast. The only problem with sand paper is that it wont last long unless you keep it flat.
Mtnfolk Mike, that looks like a sweet stone ( if you can call it that ). Would do great in the woods.

Sasha

From reading about the sand paper and how to put a convex adge on the knifes. Thats all i been using now. There is no way back to any stone anymore. Its easy and very fast. The only problem with sand paper is that it wont last long unless you keep it flat.
Mtnfolk Mike, that looks like a sweet stone ( if you can call it that ). Would do great in the woods.

Sasha

I'm not sure what you mean exactly, I haven't heard of this technique

Just a sheet of sand paper is to fragile a method to have by its self. A dmt rod, and some paper mabye. Thats what I have.

I have a keychain whetstone I got at an Army Surplus store; it works surprisingly well. As a hone I have a soft arkansas stone and a ceramic hone for touch ups. That setup is perfect for me and all told it maybe cost $15.

Thinking about it. The first Q that comes to mind is how sharp do you realy need the blade out there???? Till now i never realy had to sharpen a blade out there. A few times i did sort of like a strob on some wood to get the edge back. But any stone that is any good. Would get your knife sharp enough. Im still learning the proper way to sharpen the blade and i must say the more i practice the better and faster i get doing it. Like FedayKincmndr i got an old stone and used it a few times it worked great for me before. I just need to start carying it again.

Sasha

Just a sheet of sand paper is to fragile a method to have by its self. A dmt rod, and some paper mabye. Thats what I have.

Quality sandpaper can be used wet or dry and is fine for trips less than 2 months, perfectly durable.

Been using the same paper for 3 months but it has to be quality.

Leather belt as a strop and you have a sharpening system.

Skam

Back