Sharpening a CPK

I use an Edge Pro Professional if I want a certain angle or DMT diamond stones and Flexxx strops if I want a convex edge. My FK is my field dressing and deer skinning knife and it doesn’t really take much sharpening, usually just a little maintenance.

Sharpened my first blade on my WE and have to say I am quite impressed however, before I try on my CPK’s I am going to practice a little further on a few old beaters I have kicking around.

Also, it’s supposed to perform even better once the stones break in.

Here’s the unit along with the first results on some 1095. There was a fair amount of edge damage on it from some rough use prior to sharpening. I started with 100 grit and finished with 1,000 grit.
I have 3.5 / 5 micron leather strops but haven’t set them up yet. (I would like to get more experience with the stones first.)

I will put up for CPK Pics once I build some more confidence.

Hz2WLK3.jpg

mwPfupC.png

(Quoting some other posts to consolidate some sharpening info.)
Nathan, any changes in the sharpening protocol in the last year or so? My test for sharpness is lightly pulling the edge along my calloused thumb seeing that as soon as the edge moves, it begins to cut into the skin. I haven't experienced this with newer knives finished in the last year or so. Could be just me, but one of the attractions to your blades, even larger sizes like the medium chopper, was the attention to ensuring a very sharp blade when leaving the shop. Again, this could be my experience, but I have had several older and newer unused knives go through my hands and have been able to tell a difference of late. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Not really? We all getting older? The biggest change over the last year has been that Bo is doing less sharpening and I'm doing more of it.

We spend a lot more time sharpening than most companies but my primary goal isn't actually the highest sharpness. My priorities, in order of importance:

1. not overheated
2. no remaining wire edge or skipped areas
3. controlled angle
4. minimal undulations and recurve
5. consistent and even
6. fiendishly sharp
7. clean uniform finish

While sharpness is important, a level of very high initial sharpness is lost pretty quickly in normal use and the end user will need to restore their edge on a regular basis. Thus our time is better spent on aspects of sharpening that the user will have less control over such as the preceding items on the list. I don't mean to sound lame, but getting it extremely sharp is not and has never been a high priority for me, it was always just the resulting outcome of doing the process properly (it just kinda happens). That said I understand why it is important to you and I appreciate your feedback. We will make an effort to achieve the level of initial sharpness that we're know for. :thumbsup:

A slack dull belt at high speed will apply a smooth sharp edge but it will burn the very apex of the edge and also give you random uncontrolled edge geometry. Sharpening very slowly and under flood coolant against a hard steel platen doesn't give you sharp shiny edge very easily and the low speeds means a lot of time spent just getting to an apex. So, there are easier ways to get the sticky sharp edge than our approach but none better for consistent performance and longevity. My guess is, the root cause of the change is that I'm doing more of the sharpening and I use a little more pressure so I can feel the platen (you can't see it very well under the coolant). An excessively light touch would lead to the belt poofing out in spots creating non-controlled erosion so I press hard enough to keep the belt flat and feel to the platen. Slow speed against a sharp belt with some pressure gets me 1-5 on that list but probably reduces 6 and 7.

I'll work on it.

I use my Wicked Edge 130. I love the sound and feel of the diamond stones on the D3V steel! I want to sharpen my DEK1 again just for the fun of it, but I've been waiting for the revised WE60 to get here so I can use it.

Wicked edge is awesome. TSPROF is what I use now and is by far the best built, and most precise. You can use a bunch of different stones with this system as well. I use mainly Chosera wet stones, and a few diamond stones but I’m always trying to perfect the process. I have had a few others and these 2 are the best. Also the most expensive but “buy once cry once“. I sold my wicked edge just because I prefer to use the TSPROF and have had the best repeatable results. I have also cut myself a few times when using the wicked edge (not paying attention, or trying to move to fast) and the TSPROF has guides that makes it next to impossible to cut yourself is set up properly. I sharpen a lot of knives…for friends at work, and some local restaurants Here and there. I’ve sharpened all of my CPK knives with this and they are absolutely scary sharp.

I’ve been thinking on getting a guided system to have standardized experiences, could you share more experiences?

The Wicked Edge system is the only guided system that I have used. If you're looking for comparisons between guided systems, then I can't help.
Wicked edge is awesome. TSPROF is what I use now and is by far the best built, and most precise. You can use a bunch of different stones with this system as well. I use mainly Chosera wet stones, and a few diamond stones but I’m always trying to perfect the process. I have had a few others and these 2 are the best. Also the most expensive but “buy once cry once“. I sold my wicked edge just because I prefer to use the TSPROF and have had the best repeatable results. I have also cut myself a few times when using the wicked edge (not paying attention, or trying to move to fast) and the TSPROF has guides that makes it next to impossible to cut yourself is set up properly. I sharpen a lot of knives…for friends at work, and some local restaurants Here and there. I’ve sharpened all of my CPK knives with this and they are absolutely scary sharp.

The TSPROF looks cheap to me, but to each their own. With the Wicked Edge you don't have to flip the blade around or anything. The blade stays locked in position and you can work both edge bevels together. I've never cut myself on my Wicked Edge but I'm a very careful person. Wicked Edge sells some protectors that people say work well, but I've never used them.
I researched every system that I could find before I settled on the Wicked Edge system. Money was not an issue. My main requirement was that the system did not require electricity to use. I'm happy with my choice and would still choose the Wicked Edge if I were looking even now.

The Wicked Edge system is the only guided system that I have used. If you're looking for comparisons between guided systems, then I can't help.

The TSPROF looks cheap to me, but to each their own. With the Wicked Edge you don't have to flip the blade around or anything. The blade stays locked in position and you can work both edge bevels together. I've never cut myself on my Wicked Edge but I'm a very careful person. Wicked Edge sells some protectors that people say work well, but I've never used them.
I researched every system that I could find before I settled on the Wicked Edge system. Money was not an issue. My main requirement was that the system did not require electricity to use. I'm happy with my choice and would still choose the Wicked Edge if I were looking even now.
Lol I guess your right to each their own! If you haven’t had the two side by side you won’t understand. I wasn’t looking to upset you I said it’s a awesome system. I owned one for many years. The movement of the blade, and direction the stones move give you a much improved contact, and tactile feel of the blade you are working on. The TSPROF is just “By Far” more precise! They are the best 2 sharpening systems out there. I’m not taking anything away from wicked edge. Just my experience along with many others I know including professional knife sharpeners that switched to the TSPROF. Look it up!

Last edited:
Lol I guess your right to each their own! If you haven’t had the two side by side you won’t understand. I wasn’t looking to upset you I said it’s a awesome system. I owned one for many years. The movement of the blade, and direction the stones move give you a much improved contact, and tactile feel of the blade you are working on. The TSPROF is just “By Far” more precise! They are the best 2 sharpening systems out there. I’m not taking anything away from wicked edge. Just my experience along with many others I know including professional knife sharpeners that switched to the TSPROF. Look it up!

I don't know what made you think that I was upset. Personally, it's a mute issue. I guess a different strokes for different folks, kind of thing. I looked the tsprof up and it looks cheap and flimsy to me. There are many 'professional' knife sharpeners that use a dry belt system, so, no point in going there... Most of them I wouldn't let touch my knives for free. Well, maybe not 'most', but a lot of them.
I researched the tsprof thoroughly when I was shopping for a sharpening system, and obviously I didn't choose it. I didn't keep notes so I can't list the reasons that I passed on it.

Back