Sharpening a Persian Style Blade w/slight recurve

Looking for advice on what to use to sharpen a Persian style blade without a full belly, but instead a bit of recurve. The recurve is slight, but I would think this eliminates stops, a regular stone, my KOK&TS, etc.

Do I need a rod system for this? And if so what is a good one? It's a folder, so 4" or so.

Thanks BF!

A spyderco sharpmaker will do the trick.

It depends on if you are looking for a bright, polished/mirror edge - then one of the guided systems can also be used. The corners of the stones contact the edge and you have to keep the stones moving along the edge (don't do vertical 'scrubbing' strokes or you'll get a divot).

If you want a darn good working edge and the high polish is not your goal, go sharpmaker.

Ceramic rod (full size or pocket), Sharpmaker, Lansky turn box, corner of sharpening stone, sandpaper over a rod/curved object/corner and the list goes on.

It really comes down to what you prefer to use and have at hand.

You can ease the edge of a whetstone to contact a recurve edge more broadly. Keep the opposite edge sharp for getting in near the ricasso.

You can make a multi-radius strop using a cutoff from a section of handrail with this profile:

411Q-57mc-L.jpg

Back