sharpening a straight razor with the sharpmaker

Would you please elaborate on this? I have lapped a lot of hones and consider the Nortons to be fairly easy to lap. Are you using wet/dry sandpaper and backing it on a wet and flat surface? If you do the lapping under a steady slow stream of water, it should be easy.

Yeah I am; it just took me a lot of time to get the 8,000 grit side flat. I eventually got it there but it took a while. I didn't try a steady stream of water I'll try that next time thanks.

I should have thought to ask this sooner...what grit of sandpaper were you using? Obviously you can use a coarse grit to get it flat and then a more fine grit to smooth it once it is flat.

That's just fine. If you occasionally use the 600 or 400 to refresh the surface to remove accumulated steel, it will serve double duty to keep the hone flat and it will be a long time before you need to fully lap it again.

try some 3M Micromesh sandpaper and Diamond pastes on a piece of MDF- Cheap, and will give you a highly refined edge ( I go to 0.1u cbn (164k grit I think)

Back