Sharpening a Tanto Blade

I just got my first knife that has a tanto style blade, and I want to touch it up a little. Do I sharpen it in two different strokes for the separate edges, or is it fine to do the whole blade in one full stroke at a time? Or does it even matter?

Pretty basic question, I just don't want to screw up a brand new knife

My specialty!! I use my Sharpmaker for a weekly touch up ( fine stones) and generally do the whole edge as one. Twice a year or so I use my Severtech sharpener and treat it as two edges. Gets razor+ sharp and makes the corner where the two edges meet like a scalpel which comes in very handy is some limited circumstances.

My specialty!! I use my Sharpmaker for a weekly touch up ( fine stones) and generally do the whole edge as one. Twice a year or so I use my Severtech sharpener and treat it as two edges. Gets razor+ sharp and makes the corner where the two edges meet like a scalpel which comes in very handy is some limited circumstances.

Do you find that the Sharpmaker "rounds off" the corner where the two edges meet?

I think that answers my question... It's fine to do a single stroke if I use a fine stone and only for minor touch-ups, but anything more than that 2 strokes is the way to go?

I can use the Sharpmaker 3 or 4 times before rounding the apex . Like I said ,the other sharpener rejuvinates the whole blade.

I treat mine like two different edges and do them totally seperately. I'm also careful to maintain the tanto corner. It may take longer, but you can't go wrong this way. Sometimes I even sharpen the tanto front at a steeper (stronger) angle than the rest of the blade.

I treat mine like two different edges and do them totally seperately. I'm also careful to maintain the tanto corner. It may take longer, but you can't go wrong this way. Sometimes I even sharpen the tanto front at a steeper (stronger) angle than the rest of the blade.

Yes, to clarify, this is what I meant in my post as well.
Treat them as two different edges and maintain the tanto corner.

Much clearer than my post!

Back