Sharpening angles

Hi guys,

Just a question on sharpening angles. I use a Lansky sharpening system, which has got fixed angles (3 or 4) at which you sharpen (can't recall the exact angles right now).

Do you guys use different angles for different steels or knife brands, or is it more dependent on the use of the knife?

I am looking for the best angles to sharpen my VG-10 and AUS8 Spydercos (Endura and Walker) and a 154CM Benchmade 910 Stryker, all used for SD only, not utility.

I am pretty new to this sharpening thing, but do have a cheapy to preactice on first.

Thanks for any info.

Schalk Roets:) :confused:

I'm sure others wil jump in, but I believe that spyderco sharpens their vg-10 at 15 deg. (30 if using the sharpmaker 204. it counts each side so the degree is doubled)
generally speaking, most knives are in the 15 to 20 degree range for EDC. The 15 slices better but doesn't hold the edge as long as 20 degrees.

If your main use is to keep them for SD, then I would use a shallow angle, since you'll likely be using it to cut and run. You'll want that one cut to have maximum effect. With a Lansky, I would reccomend using the second setting from the bottom for the Spydercos, or maybe the bottom one. Do a few light passes with the lowest setting to see where the stone is contacting the edge. Look at the scratch pattern the stone leaves. If it's nowhere near the edge, then it's probably too shallow. If it's close to the edge, keep going until the bevels meet. The lowest setting should give you a very sharp, but not a very durable edge.

For the Stryker, which I believe is chisel ground, you're not going to want to use the lowest or even the second lowest setting. With chisel grinds, the angle of one bevel is your total included edge angle, so a 15 deg setting would probably be too weak. Try the second from the top and see where the stone contacts the edge, and adjust from there. I don't know what the factory angle is on a Stryker, but I imagine that it's a little thick, being a Benchmade. Just experiment a little and see what works best for you. Good luck.

It is influenced by both steel and the type of use. The better the quality of the steel, and the lighter the steel is going to be used, the lower you go with the sharpening angle. If you go too low you will find that the edge will take damage too readily, so when this happens increase the sharpening angle a little.

-Cliff

I usually use the 20 degree on my Leek. I beveled it at 15 at first then ground edge at 20.

I tend to thin out most edges on my blades, even thhe "hard use" ones. As Cliff said, if you have a lower quality and sifter steel then a larger angle is good. But I think that most folks would be pleasantly surprised at how awesome a 25 degree included edge angle is at utility and at how long the edge lasts. I see few reasons to have a folder made of ATS-34 or the like with a 40 degree edge angle. ATS can handle a thinner angle for sure. And if you experience problems, it is easy to just sharpen a thicker vebel on a knife that you have thinned out, so there isn't much harm in trying.

Back