Sharpening CRK’s with the KME

Hi guys!

Over time I’ve noticed quite a few people mention that they sharpened their CRK on a KME system. Mostly when looking through the photo threads. Rather than trying to message everyone individually, I figured I’d try to post this up here to get some eyes on it.

I recently got me a KME system and have already sharpened about 8 cheaper knives to get the hang of it. All came out pretty well! Being that I will eventually use the KME to sharpen up my CRK’s, I was hoping to get some info on how you guys are clamping yours up in the jaws, in order to have the most chance at avoiding the tip bevel widening too much. I have read through a bunch of old threads about the KME, and some people clamp their knives straight on the flats, and some clamp them using an imaginary heel-to-tip line, so it’s kind of sitting in a smiley face position. It seems that both sides will say that their way works and the other doesn’t. Some even claim that it’s unavoidable because of the blade naturally getting thicker as it moves towards the tip.

I have tried clamping/sharpening both ways and have been pretty successful, but none of the knives I’ve done have a blade grind quite like a CRK. So I just wanted to get some ideas on how you guys are doing it before I tackle my knives. I will be doing a Large Sebenza 21 and Umnumzaan, both with drop point blades.

Thank you!

I’ve learned that blade placement in the jaws of any guided system matters. If you place the blade too far back, you’ll widen the edge at the tip. It’s better to place the blade in the jaws as close to the tip end as possible to prevent the widening of the edge angle at the tip. Also take notice of how deep you place the blade in the jaws of the clamp. Try to be consistent with that because it will affect the determined angle on the KME.

Thanks!

So do you mean if the blade is placed in the KME clamp, to avoid tip widening, you’d want less blade sticking out at the tip end compared to the heel end, is that correct?

Would you suggest clamping drop point blades straight across the flats, or using the heel-to-tip line?

Thanks!

So do you mean if the blade is placed in the KME clamp, to avoid tip widening, you’d want less blade sticking out at the tip end compared to the heel end, is that correct?

Would you suggest clamping drop point blades straight across the flats, or using the heel-to-tip line?

You can mark the center of the blade, put the knife in the jaws so it’s favoring towards the tip end. I always put the jaws parallel to the blade edge which means the blade may sit a little angled in the jaws, but they’re bot parallel. When I get to the tip end, I don’t make straight up/down strokes. I follow the contour of the blade to the tip. More of a sweeping motion so I don’t widen the shoulder near the tip.

Thanks!

Here's a couple pics to help you out with clamping.

Also, you can get a convexing rod for KME.

Clamping_2.jpg

Clamping_1.jpg

Is the KME able to reprofile a Sebenza edge to ~30 degrees inclusive, and do so without hitting the thumbstud(s) ?

That is excellent, thank you very much! So do you always clamp your CRK’s using that heel-to-tip line method? Any issues at all with doing it this way?

I clamp all my knives this way, and have never had an issue. I do use a sharpie to check where the stone is cutting, and would adjust if that shows I need to.

Wow pretty neat I have the KME as well but have only used it a few times, I have to admit it does punch way above its cost as a unit. I have not tried the convex rod yet even though I have it. Just received a new dull Large Drop point Sebenza 31 and am concerned about changing its convex edge. Has anyone here used the convex rod on the Sebenza? If so how did it turn out? any tips or tricks greatly appreciated.

Back