Sharpening Global Knives

I have a Ken Onion Worksharp with added ceramic knife belts, Tri Stone, Dremel 8220, ceramic sharpening steel, smiths 3 stone diamond field sharpening kit, and various other sharpening tools. Is there a good way to use what I have to sharpen global knives? If not what do I need to get? I would like to not spend more than $100, $50 is more where I would like to be if I do have to spend.

Ultimately I would like even the pricey suggestions because I want to do the best job possible to have repeat customers.

So you want to sharpen knives for profit?

Kitchen knives benefit from water stones in my opinikn, but not as fast as a belt sander.

Personally only stones for my knives.

About 15 minutes to profile and 1 minute to hone.
400 gesshin
1000 king
4000 gesshin
8000 kitayama

Probably under 300 total including nagura (flattening stones).

Stones only, please. Be aware the Globals may benefit a lot from some thinning behind the edge, as they come out of the box with a very convexed edge -- almost no bevel visible. So you will start by setting a relief bevel at the lowest angle you're comfortable with. And once your final edge finished you may want to add a single microbevel as well. My suggestion would be: Choseras 400, 800 and 3k.

So you want to sharpen knives for profit?

Kitchen knives benefit from water stones in my opinikn, but not as fast as a belt sander.

Personally only stones for my knives.

About 15 minutes to profile and 1 minute to hone.
400 gesshin
1000 king
4000 gesshin
8000 kitayama

Probably under 300 total including nagura (flattening stones).

What do you think of the Gesshin stones? I'm looking for another 4000 grit stone and possibly a 220 or lower grit stone.

I currently run:

Chosera 400
Shapton Pro 1000
Shapton Pro 2000
Shapton Glass 4000
Naniwa Snow White 8000

What do you think of the Gesshin stones? I'm looking for another 4000 grit stone and possibly a 220 or lower grit stone.

I currently run:

Chosera 400
Shapton Pro 1000
Shapton Pro 2000
Shapton Glass 4000
Naniwa Snow White 8000
Excellent equipment.

If you are wanting to sharpen professionally you might not want to use a sequence of hand sharpening water stones that you would use on your personal knives, it is up to you. How much time do you want to spend getting the edge perfect on each knife? How much will you charge for your service? The answers to these depend a lot on your customers and what kind of edges they expect or will appreciate. Also depends on the volume of knives you will be sharpening. A lot of culinary professionals send their knives to sharpening services that are using motor driven grinding stones, so their expectations might not be particularly high.

With your work sharp and extra belts you should be able to do a good job with typical outdoor knives and folding knives. You could probably also do kitchen knives, but it would be not as easy (thinner blades, more chance of screwing up) until you get comfortable with doing them. I would suggest to get a 1000 grit and 5000 grit water stones and practice sharpening kitchen knives by hand so that you know what kind of edge you want to put on the Globals before trying to duplicate or approximate that edge with another (more efficient) method.

If you do decide to offer hand sharpening you could have a different price structure for that option.

It's my understanding that most work with kitchen knives is about "small" repairs, little chips, damaged tips, etc., you can't charge for as the customer isn't aware of them.

I currently run:

Chosera 400
Shapton Pro 1000
Shapton Pro 2000
Shapton Glass 4000
Naniwa Snow White 8000
I have a gesshin 400 and 4000. They are excellent stones, probably the more expensive stones I have but I am looking to get more gesshin regardless of price, they are well worth it.

Back