Sharpening question

Ok I have a few bucks left over from Christmas shopping and I need advise
I have a work sharp. My question is this. Do I buy a ruxion edge pro clone or buy some more bells for the work sharp. I like the work sharp but there are times I wish it would get certain knives sharper. What say yee ??

Ok I have a few bucks left over from Christmas shopping and I need advise
I have a work sharp. My question is this. Do I buy a ruxion edge pro clone or buy some more bells for the work sharp. I like the work sharp but there are times I wish it would get certain knives sharper. What say yee ??

strops and polishing compounds.

As a powered sharpening system, the Work Sharp is good for what it is and if used correctly, will give you nice and sharp convex edges. I have both the original Work Sharp and the Ken Onion edition with the blade grinding attachment but I hardly use them. For me, sharpening is more of a hobby than collecting knives. I find it relaxing and prefer the accuracy of the guided/clamping systems

The Ruixin Edge Pro clone (the one with the large suction cup base) will certainly give you more control and more precise V edges and it is very cheap for what you get.
If you do buy one, I would suggest to also buy the Ruixin Diamond stones which are less than $5 each as well as a strong magnet to help holding the knife and a drill stop collar which helps to compensate for differences in case some of the stones are thicker than others.

Here is a photo of my Ruixin.

One the left is the pouch with the original stones
In front are the three Ruixin diamond stones, grids 200, 500 and 800
On the right are aluminum blanks that I cut from a one meter strip. I use these with 3M polishing tapes and with a strip of leather for stropping.

The knife is held in place with a 20x20x10mm Neodymium magnet with a holding power of 14 kg.

All-in-all this cost me about $ 50.- including shipping.

21359795031_57e70cf82b_b.jpg

Frans

As a powered sharpening system, the Work Sharp is good for what it is and if used correctly, will give you nice and sharp convex edges. I have both the original Work Sharp and the Ken Onion edition with the blade grinding attachment but I hardly use them. For me, sharpening is more of a hobby than collecting knives. I find it relaxing and prefer the accuracy of the guided/clamping systems

The Ruixin Edge Pro clone (the one with the large suction cup base) will certainly give you more control and more precise V edges and it is very cheap for what you get.
If you do buy one, I would suggest to also buy the Ruixin Diamond stones which are less than $5 each as well as a strong magnet to help holding the knife and a drill stop collar which helps to compensate for differences in case some of the stones are thicker than others.

Here is a photo of my Ruixin.

One the left is the pouch with the original stones
In front are the three Ruixin diamond stones, grids 200, 500 and 800
On the right are aluminum blanks that I cut from a one meter strip. I use these with 3M polishing tapes and with a strip of leather for stropping.

The knife is held in place with a 20x20x10mm Neodymium magnet with a holding power of 14 kg.

All-in-all this cost me about $ 50.- including shipping.

21359795031_57e70cf82b_b.jpg

Frans

How and where did you attach the Magnet

How and where did you attach the Magnet

I glued it to the underside of the table. There is a 25 x 67 mm area so space enough even for larger magnets but the one I used is strong enough to hold the knife so secure that I can sharpen it without having to hold it by hand.

22442920423_788b26efd3_b.jpg

Frans

I glued it to the underside of the table. There is a 25 x 67 mm area so space enough even for larger magnets but the one I used is strong enough to hold the knife so secure that I can sharpen it without having to hold it by hand.

22442920423_788b26efd3_b.jpg

Frans

Thank you

Back