SHARPENING RECURVES???

Big John Super Stick.
si1000_4.jpg
That one looks just like mine. Amazon has several avialable, I am sure there are many sources.

Years ago, I made a round strop out of a vintage, worn out, Everlast leather jumps rope. They only wear in the middle, so there was lots of good leather for strops. It had to be stretched very tightly to work properly.

For your large recurve blades like OP's Kershaw camp, what I've gotten best results with is use 2 options that I listed, together. The Bull Thistle (which is only a $12 stone, btw--just realized OP said he wants to keep cost down) is about 100-grit stone good for fixing typical smaller dents/dings I get in my machetes and outdoor tools that have a working edge. Then I follow up with the gray/medium Sharpmaker ceramic which is all you really need to an edge that will easily shave arm hair. Although I use these on my bench, both are small and easily thrown in a pack, and work fine using them handheld.

y4m57Pts_6PgKoc7eb5Kqvo9D3Sj0MDtnTYO-p84UtTzqUrFSYiUoFGKeJdH9CamyjKHo6AgZWV_3Irt51c6zNhWQ7oHhoI63BNbO3bq7n3MOJe2Gunb3Y1pOmns8joru_B9JjvI5if_beUK66AKnqOuR_JmSu2c_EUewks583uiaumcFc8rdjlEK3t0lyl_PY37GwwpZa4B7ew2tYcut8qaA

For your large recurve blades like OP's Kershaw camp, what I've gotten best results with is use 2 options that I listed, together. The Bull Thistle (which is only a $12 stone, btw--just realized OP said he wants to keep cost down) is about 100-grit stone good for fixing typical smaller dents/dings I get in my machetes and outdoor tools that have a working edge. Then I follow up with the gray/medium Sharpmaker ceramic which is all you really need to an edge that will easily shave arm hair. Although I use these on my bench, both are small and easily thrown in a pack, and work fine using them handheld.

y4m57Pts_6PgKoc7eb5Kqvo9D3Sj0MDtnTYO-p84UtTzqUrFSYiUoFGKeJdH9CamyjKHo6AgZWV_3Irt51c6zNhWQ7oHhoI63BNbO3bq7n3MOJe2Gunb3Y1pOmns8joru_B9JjvI5if_beUK66AKnqOuR_JmSu2c_EUewks583uiaumcFc8rdjlEK3t0lyl_PY37GwwpZa4B7ew2tYcut8qaA

SNAP! You're a pro!!

Got so many cool ideas now... Looking forward to trying them out!

Thank you!

Where did you pick these up, by the way?

And that plat form or whatever you're using -What is that?

-T

What kukri is that, by the way?

-T

SNAP! You're a pro!!

Got so many cool ideas now... Looking forward to trying them out!

Thank you!

Where did you pick these up, by the way?

And that plat form or whatever you're using -What is that?

-T

See my earlier post in thread for links to the Baryonyx Bull Thistle, it's only $12 but if you browse Ben's store, if you're like me you'll have a hard time limiting your buy to that one stone. :)

The Sharpmaker medium rods, you can get those without buying the whole Sharpmaker, I think a pair of the mediums is around $18 to $20.

The rubber matt is the Tormek RM-533. I don't own a Tormek sharpener but I bought that thick heavy mat years ago, it's awesome as a base for sharpening and other projects. You can find the Tormek at lots of online knife and retail places just search.

The Kukri? That thing is a cheapo with mystery 440 steel, paid like $10 for it at a yard sale :p, cleaned it up and use it for chopping weeds in the flower beds :) and for practicing sharpening recurves. The brand says "Mtech"....

See my earlier post in thread for links to the Baryonyx Bull Thistle, it's only $12 but if you browse Ben's store, if you're like me you'll have a hard time limiting your buy to that one stone. :)

The Sharpmaker medium rods, you can get those without buying the whole Sharpmaker, I think a pair of the mediums is around $18 to $20.

The rubber matt is the Tormek RM-533. I don't own a Tormek sharpener but I bought that thick heavy mat years ago, it's awesome as a base for sharpening and other projects. You can find the Tormek at lots of online knife and retail places just search.

The Kukri? That thing is a cheapo with mystery 440 steel, paid like $10 for it at a yard sale :p, cleaned it up and use it for chopping weeds in the flower beds :) and for practicing sharpening recurves. The brand says "Mtech"....

Love your style, man!

Thank you!!

-T

Anybody got any advice for sharpening recurves -Down and sharpening in the field? Cheap tools?

I got a couple Kershaw Camp 10's recently -Large, pretty heavily recurved blade...

Thanks!

-T

For quick and dirty, not expensive, in the field, I -really- like the Buck 97044. It is a plastic handled diamond sharpener. The diamonds have three grits, 325, 750, and 1200, and the handle uncovers the diamond rods and screws into the end cap for better grip when sharpening. I use it for almost everything other than "show off, make a point" sharpening. The diamond surfaces are slightly oval, and if you need more, the "point" where they come together can get into some small areas. I use it for gently serrated edges on some of our kitchen knives.

Not an ad for Buck, just a satisfied customer.

Back