Sharpening Sebenza

I broke out the 204 Sharpmaker and began sharpening my small Sebenza. I was disappointed that when I arrived at the tip, I saw that the edge near the tip was more than the 20 degree angle of the Sharpmaker. So now I'm still at it trying to reprofile the tip. I thought the Sebbie would be different since it is thinner ground than most tactical knifes. Why don't knifemakers including CR Knives sharpen the blades right from the start at a constant angle, especially since CR Knives recommends the 204 for sharpening. This is the only fault that I've found with the Sebenza BTW.

I sharpen free hand, so this isn't a problem for me. With any new knife, the first sharpening is the worst as you have to set the angle to the way that YOU sharpen. Once you have your angles set, your home free.

Paul

I have also had better luck sharpening my sebenza free
hand. I was not able to get the sebenza as sharp
using the "jig" setup with the sharpmaker.

I need the sharpmaker because I can't sharpen freehand. The down fall of the sharpmaker is the extended time to reprofile especially with the BG-42, which is so stinking hard. At least I know once I get my final edge, Its going to last a while.

kutch133 :

Why don't knifemakers including CR Knives sharpen the blades right from the start at a constant angle

The edge was consistent on the Project that I used. Note when using the Sharpmaker you have to rotate the blade on the draw so as to keep the edge perpendicular to the hone for it to grind at a constant angle. If you just draw the blade straight out you are grinding at a thinner angle at the tip than you are at the base of the blade.

-Cliff

Back