Sharpening serrated knives - How?

Does anyone on here have experience with sharpening serrated knives like this one:
C10SBK.jpg

If so - how on earth do you sharpen that?

I'm more curious than anything else. I have one similar to the knife pictured (an old Spyderco). It doesn't need a sharpening but I don't know how I would do it if it did.

Lansky makes a ceramic rod specifically for spyderco. Costs around 8$ on the big river site. Slotted specifics for Spyderco serrations.

The knife in the picture is an Endura. I have a serrated Delica, which is about 1" shorter. I carried it for a few years and used it a LOT and sharpened it quite a bit also. I was almost always able to bring it back to phonebook paper slicing. Those Spyderco serrated edges are really nice.

However, because I used the Sharpmaker for sharpening and I used it on the scallops as the instructions (and practically everyone else online) says, I rounded off the points of the serrations. The points are still there. But they aren't nearly as needle sharp as they once were. In fact, really not very sharp for "points" at all. But the blade still cuts quite well. It's just not nearly as "sticky" when you press it against plastic packaging or the like.

Now that I know better, I would sharpen just about any serrated blade the way Jason B taught me: From the back side only. You can return a serrated blade to sharp by using a very, very shallow angle on the flat back side. Something like 5 degrees off of flat will do it. Once you raise a burr inside the scallops, use a sharpmaker or other small width rod to deburr the scalloped side. This should take very little grinding on the scalloped side.

The key here is that by only grinding the back side, you keep the shape of the scallops and points closer to their original. So the points stay more pointy and don't get rounded off nearly as quickly as when using the sharpmaker on the scalloped side.

Brian.

The knife in the picture is an Endura. I have a serrated Delica, which is about 1" shorter. I carried it for a few years and used it a LOT and sharpened it quite a bit also. I was almost always able to bring it back to phonebook paper slicing. Those Spyderco serrated edges are really nice.

However, because I used the Sharpmaker for sharpening and I used it on the scallops as the instructions (and practically everyone else online) says, I rounded off the points of the serrations. The points are still there. But they aren't nearly as needle sharp as they once were. In fact, really not very sharp for "points" at all. But the blade still cuts quite well. It's just not nearly as "sticky" when you press it against plastic packaging or the like.

Now that I know better, I would sharpen just about any serrated blade the way Jason B taught me: From the back side only. You can return a serrated blade to sharp by using a very, very shallow angle on the flat back side. Something like 5 degrees off of flat will do it. Once you raise a burr inside the scallops, use a sharpmaker or other small width rod to deburr the scalloped side. This should take very little grinding on the scalloped side.

The key here is that by only grinding the back side, you keep the shape of the scallops and points closer to their original. So the points stay more pointy and don't get rounded off nearly as quickly as when using the sharpmaker on the scalloped side.

Brian.

My thoughts exactly!

Only difference from my method is I use a leather wheel to deburr.

I use a rounded ceramic rod from a Smith sharpener. It has a round side, triangle side, and flat side.
Works like a charm. For the back side/tiny points on a Cold Steel serrations, I use the flat part of the ceramic and do very light, near zero/zero angle passes from the back side only, and it seems to keep them pointy, and very very "bitey".

I have heard of another member here using an old shoelace coated with compound to strop serrations. Never tried it as I don't deal with serrated knives but it always caught me as a simple solution that had great potential I always wanted to test out.

I was scared of buying combo and serrated edges before I got sharpmaker from spyderco which is excellent tool to touch up any knife or take burr off when you sharpen on stone.With littke practice i started sharpening my friends knives with combo edges first and then i god few fully serrated knives too.It is very easy and the knives with combo edges are pretty good for cutting soft materials like meat and rope to start cut if you know how to sharpen them Also for defrnse i think theyre awesome .when serrations get too dull you can get diamond rod or wrap sandpaper around toothpick or wooden dowel and make burr then take it off with sharpmaker or strop.All serrations that i sharpen easily shave hair and cut like crazy.practice is key for anything

Ps.fully serrated knives (especially razor sharp) will slash and cut line nobodys business.I like cold steel serrations but theyre too small and impossible to sharpen.All other ones like Buck ,spyderco,kershaw etc are very easy to sharpen and also cut well

Back