Sharpening Steel

What sharpening steel do you guys / gals use?
I use Giesser Isler PoliCut and Razor Edge Foldable Steel, with good results.

I have heard good about the "F.Dick smooth steel". I al looking now myself. It is as bad as knives! Smmoth, Grooved, diamond or plain?
Do I need one at all? Great thread, I hope to learn a bit here.

I use a smooth Forschner steel to realign my blades between true sharpenings. For light touch ups between sharpening on my Edgepro I use a ceramic steel that came with the system.

Bruce

A steel is just supposed to be used to realign the edge. So, if you have a steel with diamonds, which removes metal, is it still truly a steel? Isn't it more like a stone in that it actually removes metal, and can profile a blade? So that said in my opinion a smooth steel would probably do the best job.

I don't have a steel, but am thinking of getting one. I am interested in seeing which ones are best. I have been using the fine rods from the Spdie Sharpmaker as a steel when needed in between sharpenings.

Erik

I have a steel from Hand American (the large one) which works really well. As long as you buy one that's smooth and very hard, you will be amazed at the results.

I have an edgepro also, and even when you finish off a sharpening session with the fine tapes, steeling will make your knife sharper, and constant steeling during usage will GREATLY delay the need to sharpen, thus saving steel.

I also have the small razor edge folding steel, it works fine for small knives, but my large khukuris need a little more length.

Back