Sharpening the Camillus BK- 7"

Gents

I have two Becker Neckers from the Camillus production- The edge I can bring up on them is just TERRIFIC.

Now- on my 7" Becker, I am not having the success I thought I would enjoy after being spoiled by the Neckers.

What are some good techniques- I think that I might send it off to a maker I know to get the edge re-profiled/beveled, but before I go that route, what are you guys doing to bring up a hair popping edge? All I can manage is a hair scraping edge after using the Spyderco Sharpmaker and a belt with some buffing compound rubbed in with which I strop the edge.

If I could get a better edge this would be my 100% go to bigger knife.

Thanks!

I reprofiled my BK11 and BK2's edges to 25 degrees on both sides with my Lansky system. Not hair popping, but I prefer a bit thicker edge for outdoor use. They're paper slicing sharp, but not quite hair slicing.

I used a medium diamond hone to get the edge profile where I liked it; slightly convexed, and touched it up with my Surgical Black stone.

I have literally shaved with it. I couldn't resist. I had to try it.

I have a Smith's 3 stone set I use. I threw the clamp guide thing away and just use the stones with the stone handle thingy. After a few times of free-handing it, I got to where I could sharpen any blade (other than my SOG Recon Bowie for some reason) to so sharp that if you just point it at your arm, the hair gets scared and jumps off on its own. A good thing to do is to first lay the knife blade on the stone and tilt it toward the edge unit the edge lays flat on the stone so you can see what angle you need to hold it at. Then get to work. I slightly convex all of mine. Unless I need to reprofile the edge to correct some damage, I start with the medium stone. I use a good amount of pressure to start and lighten up as I go until the only pressure is the weight of the stone on the blade. I always hold the knife still with the edge pointed up to whatever angle I'm sharpening at and hold the stone over it. I find it's easier to keep your angle well if you move the stone instead of the knife. Then I move onto the fine stone. I don't use any presure with that one. Then, depending on how well it feels, I might or might not use a strop to finish it up. Usually I don't need the strop. It just takes practice. Since then, I have stopped using anything other than stones.

Back