Sharpening the point of a knife

I took my knife to a local knifesharpener who specializes in sharpening various blades. He did a great job on the edge, but I noticed that when i got home, the point on the knife was significantly flatter than it was before. It will still stab through just about anything, but being the perfectionist I am, I would like to know how to get the point back to it's needle-point sharpness.

Any ideas?

God Bless,
Mike

yeah, what Cliff said. or go back to the sharpener-dude and tell him to fix it for free.....warranty!! :)

A person with a power sharpener can do a lot of damage in a very short time. I would consider taking the knife to a knife collector/enthusiast that you trust and have them reshape the blade to your satisfaction. BTW, what kind of knife is it that you had sharpened?
WhitleyStu

If it were me, I'd ship it to our fellow forum member 1sharpknife. He restored the battered point on a military sheath knife for me in an amazingly nice way.

Its easy to mess up a point on a power sharpener. I just bought a Harbor Freight belt sander. I messed up the point on the modified sheepsfoot blade on my whittler. No way to fix it now without taking off alot of metal. You live and learn. I've sharpened other blades since then and learned by lesson. I'd recommned first taking it back to the person that sharpened it and ask him to fix it. It that was a bust, I think Cliff has the best suggestion.

This was just talked about in another thread...

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442643

If the sharpener did a good job on the edge, I'd take it back and have him fix the tip. At the very least make him aware of it.

If some of you that are doing tip repairs from the edge side can post photos, I'd like to see it.

Here's one I did (sorry not the best photos)
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e16/cbw34/tip2.jpg

Sharpened to get the chip out, then reshaped from the spine.

If repaired from edge, you'd either have to remove a lot of edge, or you'd end up with a stub.

Some knives, for example a spear point, might have to be worked some on both sides.

But in general repair from the spine.

cbw

Back