Sharpening Tool (to Craig)

Craig,you have mentioned using a "kitchen gadget" for sharpening. Which, among the dozens of gadgets available, do you use? I have all kinds of sharpeners, but am always on the lookout for more, especially quick and easy for temporary jobs.

------------------
"To grow older is inevitable.To grow UP is optional."

I'm definitely not the resident sharpening expert on the forum, but I do have a couple of tips.

I sometimes use a cheap kitchen gadget that I bought at a cooking store. It's white and has two sharpening "sticks" set at an appropriate sharpening angle. One simply runs the tool along the edge of the blade and presto - sharp knife. However, that being said, the edge is only good for cutting. If you chop with the edge, it will likely chip, as it's not properly "convex" (ask Cliff Stamp or one of the knife experts about that one).

However, if you like your Khukuris razor-sharp, you can try to find a $6.00 gadget like the one I bought (can't for the life of me remember where), or you can find any sharpening system that mechanically ensures the correct sharpening angle.

Here's one for you (and everybody). My friend Peter Frye makes a great system for $15.00. It has ceramic sharpening sticks set in a block of wood at the correct angle, and puts a mean edge on blades. I promised him I'd post them on my website for sale (which I will get around to doing eventually). In the mean time, if you're interested in one, send me an email. He's coming over on Thursday to polish and sharpen some khukuris for me (I'm so swamped we seem to be up at night sharpening blades for the next day's shipment). I'll ask him to bring however many y'all want.

Long winded answer, I know, but I hope it helps.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

[This message has been edited by Craig Gottlieb (edited 23 August 1999).]

I really love the convex edge, e.g. Fallkniven, A1, and WM, and the Bill Moran Featherweight, etc. But I've read they are extremely difficult to to sharpen and maintain the edge. Do khukuris' require convex edges to work properly (chopping) and is there a recommended method/process? (and please don't stay up thinking about this on my account
smile.gif
)

Cliff Stamp is the man to ask about convex edges. Hopefully, he'll see these posts and chime in. I'll email him and ask him to post his advice, or lead us to another posting where he talks about it.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Alachoctaw: I got those sharpening systems in (only have two left, including my own). If you want one, I offered them for $20.00 shipping included. Peter'll send you new ceramic sticks should you drop one. His number is on the bottom.

A convex edge is not required for excellent performance with a khukhuri. The main problem with sharpening the khukuri is keeping the abrasive at a consistant angle. Oddly, for me this is best done free hand with the Spyderco stones used as files.

Check out the H.I. forum there are many ways to sharpen the khukuri. I have tried most of them and so far they all work (some take longer than others).

As for more info on the convex edge, check out the Sharpening FAQ to see a description of the convex edge. Also, check out Mad Dog and Cold Steel articles on blade geometry, there might be pictures. Basicly instead of a straight bevel to the edge the bevel is curved. This is done by most knife makers using a belt to sharpen knives. The belt wears a curved bevel as the edge is formed. This might be one of the reasons some people report the initial edge from the factory last longer (if it is sharp to begin with).

I have used the Lansky system as decribed by Joe and it works quite well. Edge retention is improved but not enough to justify the extra labour.

Will

[This message has been edited by Will Kwan (edited 29 August 1999).]

Fiskers puts one in their sheath.Talk about handy.I think the 4' fillet knife was about $4 at the PX. Other knives will fit the generous slit.

------------------

Craig, I must pass on the new system. I JUST got a spyderco 204 system and that just about broke the sharpening budget.Thanks for thinking of me.

AlaChoctaw, no problem on the sharpening system - as long as your khukuri gets and stays sharp, we're happy.

So, that means I still have one left. Anybody want it?

PS: when this one goes, there are obviously more to go around, as I'm supposed to be getting 10 from Peter in the mail shortly, so don't feel rushed.

[This message has been edited by Craig Gottlieb (edited 31 August 1999).]

Back