Sharpening tools?

I also prefer toothy edges and never mind the highly polished look. When using my Edge Pro I most often stay at 320, maybe 600 and nothing finer.

I also prefer toothy edges and never mind the highly polished look. When using my Edge Pro I most often stay at 320, maybe 600 and nothing finer.

In this case, you don't strop, do you? :)

The edge you are intended to use strop, how far do you use on your EP? 1200 or so?

MFL

I have become a very minimal stropper. I found the best way is to stop honing as soon as you are right there. Then a quick strop. I have checked my progress under 100x magnification and I can say I have good results for preventing a burr while still forming a fresh apex. It's mostly learning and less supplies. Yet I have also found the very best for these super steels would be Trend Diamond stones. I like them much better than DMT. I finish off with a hanging linen strop loaded with black compound I would usually use on my Kalamazoo leather belts.

For my edc knives I prefer a toothy edge (1000-1200 grit) with just enough stropping to refine the micro serrations. No mirror polish. This gives a very insanely sharp and aggressive edge. It will pop hairs, push cut anything and still have an awesome and scary bite.

The one thing most important to people learning is the sharpie trick and a loupe. It really helps to see what your actually doing.

Kevin

OK, what is the Sharpie trick? I think I can figure it out but I would like to have an explanation if possible?
Thanks, Frank.

The "sharpie trick" is where you color the bevel with a marker then make a few passes on the stone, it'll show you if your sharpening at the correct angle or not. Only taking the sharpie off the very edge of the bevel and your at to high of an angle, only taking the marker off the shoulder and your at to low an angle.

The "sharpie trick" is where you color the bevel with a marker then make a few passes on the stone, it'll show you if your sharpening at the correct angle or not. Only taking the sharpie off the very edge of the bevel and your at to high of an angle, only taking the marker off the shoulder and your at to low an angle.

Thank you for this. That would be a good teaching aid for someone like me.
Frank.

It's really the best. It's the fail proof way to learn. :)

Once you get really tuned in you will be able to feel and see without it but it's a tremendous learning aid.

Thank you for this. That would be a good teaching aid for someone like me.
Frank.

In this case, you don't strop, do you? :)

The edge you are intended to use strop, how far do you use on your EP? 1200 or so?

MFL

I'll either use the 1800 grit rod that came with the EP kit and or my horse hide strop for final de-burring.

Edge Pro for re-profiling and sharpmaker fine and xtra fine for touch ups

Back