Sharpening Umfaan

i have an Umfaan and a sharpmaker 204. is the umfaan also best sharpened on the 40 degree setting or is the grind a little shallower due to the blade being thinner? any advice?

thanks much. i want to make sure i do it right, now that i have something really worth keeping for a looooong time!!

Since no one seems to have a definitive answer, I suggest you use the old trick one uses with stones. Just paint the edge with black marker, set up your sharpener, and take a pass or two with the stone. When it is aligned correctly, the entire edge will be in contact with the stone, so the black will rub off the entire edge.

Hope this helps, Walt

Just make sure you don't drag the point off the sharpening rods. Doing so will round off the nice pointy point. I suggest using the flat side only and stopping the pass with the tip still on the flat.
The angle you sharpen at depends on what you want to do with your knife. If you want a pocket scalpel then use the 30 degree angle. If it might see heavier use then use the 40. Or do the old back bevel trick.

I'm kind of new here and I was wondering what is the old
back bevel trick? I have been sharpening my Sebenza on
my sharpmaker and have not had any problems, but maybe this
could make it easier.
Thanks

Back bevelling is sort of a "poor man's" convex (or appleseed) edge. Sharpen a knife on the 30 degree angle until it's quite sharp, and the bevels are even. Then sharpen that same knife on the 40 degree angle. What you end up with is a knife that works a lot like a slack belt sharpened knife. It won't be as accute as the straight 30 degree bevel, but it will be a stronger edge and extremely sharp.

Paul :

Sharpen a knife on the 30 degree angle until it's quite sharp, and the bevels are even. Then sharpen that same knife on the 40 degree angle.

You don't need to finish on the 30 degree angle, as that is not the bevel that will be forming the edge so you are just adding unnecessary work. The amount that you leave unground will be the section of edge that forms the 40 degree bevel. The 30/40 edge ratio can be varied to change the cutting / durability ratio.

-Cliff

Back