Sharpening

Ok, I need help i dont know how to sharpen ANY knives, ive tried time and time again i cant seem to get it. Any help:confused:

Two suggestions... OK, three suggestions.

One, if you really can't sharpen anything yet, buy a system to use until you get the hang of freehand sharpening. A Spyderco Sharpmaker will get you started with good edges on your knives and will be useful even after you start freehand sharpening if you want to continue using it. There's a great instructional DVD that comes with it. Watch the DVD 2 or 3 times before you use the Sharpmaker.

Two, get a couple of stones in diferent grits, pick a cheap beater knife, and start learning to sharpen freehand.

Three, in order to do #2, get a copy of John Juranich's book "The Razor Edge of Sharpening" and read it while you're practicing with the beater knife.

What dalefuller said.

If you don't understand the principles of sharpening then you'll never really know what you are doing and will probably never get the best edge you and the knife are capable of.

The sharpmaker is an excelent tool, according to alot of people here. I would, however learn to freehand sharpen. Yes, it's true that if you don't understand the basics then no system will help you. You may occasionaly accidently get a knife or two sharp, but with inconsistant results.

Gerber & Lansky make little sharpening tools with rods in an "X" formation. "Pull through" sharpeners. Very easy to use, very inexpensive.

I am happy with my Sharpmaker and I even use it like a bench stone for those knives that don't match the preset angles (like chisel grinds and alike). It is somewhat free hand sharpening as well. You have to eyeball and keep a constant vertical angle and that is not always done propertly!

I don't own one but lots of people here use and swear by the EdgePro. I think it is pretty expensive but seems to be well invested money!

You need to read a lot here in BF and any book the guys recommended you. That way you will know what you are really doing. No system will help unless you have a clue of what is going on in your knife's edge.

Mikel

All true. You have to have an understanding of the fundamentals no matter what system or device you use. There is alot of knowledge and experience arround here, just ask.

i have a lansky sharpening system I bought 10-15 yeas ago. It will force you to keep a consistant angle on the blade, and will teach you how to feel that angle so that you can eventually sharpen freehand, Stones ae available in a variety of grits, so you can do everything from grinding in a new angle to simply honing the existing one. I've found it easy to use, intuitive, non frustrating, and effective,

I have the Sharpmaker and the EdgePro Apex. The EP is the best system I have ever used. It gave me a very sharp knife the first time I used it. Even though it is very expensive, it was the best money I ever spent and I've never regreted it.

I still use the Sharpmaker for day day to day touch ups when the edge starts to dull. The Sharpmaker is a real pain to try to get a really dull knife sharp with though.

As far as knowing how to sharpen a knife, I recomend the book Sharpening Made Easy by Steve Bottorff.

Back