Sharpening??????

Before I joined the forums I wanted to teach myself how to put a good looking scary sharp edge on my knives. I found a brochure for a Lansky and bought a universal kit. I have been able to put an ok edge on some knives but nothing like I've seen. Is it possible to push to hard? Am I doing something wrong? I have noticed on the forums alot of people talk about Sharpmakers, what is the best sharpener for a beginner that is easy to use for the best results? Is there a certain model that's preferred (I think there is more than one Sharpmaker)? I had a Spyderco Delica way back that a "friend" stole from me that was the sharpest knife I ever owned. Everytime I would say "don't touch the blade" and someone replied "I know how to handle knives" it meant another trip to the emergency room for stitches. I want that kind of sharp again. I normally send my BM's in for Lifesharp service but it's not scary sharp. I would love any advice I can get, you can reply here or email natpro7420@yahoo.com. If I decide to let someone else put a wicked edge on something are there any master sharpeners out there willing to do some work? Thanks for looking.

-Nate :confused:

FWIW Your Lansky system is capable of creating a very sharp edge. Read some of the threads on sharpening basics, particularly about creating a burr and removing a burr. (Sounds counter productive doesn't it) Dave Martell's DVD is a highly regarded tutorial on sharpening. Dave, D&R Sharpening, is also someone who will sharpen your knives if you so choose.

The short answer is that you CAN push too hard. Patience is the key, and you can get excellent results with the lansky system. use a sharpie to color the edge to make sure that you are actually getting to the edge with the stone. Wash the stones when they get clogged to speed sharpening.

Part of your problem may be the knives that you are trying to sharpen. Your Delica had a thin hollow ground blade. The sharpening angle on that was probably under 15 degrees per side (under 30-degree included angle). Many Benchmades are a lot thicker and are saber ground. You might be sharpening them at around 20 degrees per side or more (over 40-degree included angle). If you combine that with a blade alloy that is hard and includes hard carbides you might have problems with almost any sharpener or technique.

Try going back to what worked for you. Get yourself another Delica with a plain (nonserrated) VG-10 alloy blade. Try sharpening that to something like 12 degrees per side (or even less). This may restore your faith in your sharpening abilities.

i can put a scarry sharp edge on for you should you decide to have someone do it for you. if you want to check out a different sharpener check out my website.

Actually I never sharpened the Delica or a Benchmade, my uncle gave me the delica and said it was sharpened but I think it had the factory edge it was just extremely sharp I've been sending my BM's in for Lifesharp service. What I have tried to sharpen was a TOPS C.A.T. in 1095 and it had a pretty good edge but I don't think it was even, a kershaw scallion that polished nicer than it was sharp, and a cheap 5.11 give away that actually took the best edge. Does anyone know how the Lansky and Sharpmaker compare?

Short answer from my experience with a GATCO and with limited experience with a KME (both similar to the Lansky).

The rod guided systems will sharpen very well if you do your part. Do you have the standard stones or have you added any?

I have the GATCO Professional. I added the extra fine and the ultimate finishing hones. I finish on leather strops loaded with polishing compound. I feel that if you use the finer polishing stones on the Lansky and refine the edge with stropping or some such you will be very pleased.

There are a lot of fans of the Sharpmaker. It has only two angles so there are limitations. There are finer finishing typ rods you can get. It is not very good at changing angles or sharpening a dull blade. It will maintain an edge that is already at an angle that will match the two.

From reading on here it seems like sharpening fanatics who like the Sharpmaker have a lansky, GATCO, or bench stones for rebeveling, changing angles, and removing a lot of material before going to the sharpmaker.

I like the GATCO. With the finishing hones and stropping I am very pleased with the edges I can achieve.

Back