Sharping knives using Water Stones.

Diamond hones work on all steels; water stones work great on high carbon steels but are too soft to cut powder steels with high volumes of extremely hard carbides.

I use water stones on my axes and bushcraft knives. I have read and heard that they are not suitable for many of newer super steels so I have stuck to my diamond stones for my folders.

Reactions: Mo2
I do it - using a gesshin 1000/6000 on all of my knives. CRK, spyderco, benchmade. Nothing too exotic. Edges are great.

My preference is water stones.
The Shapton Glass water stones sharpen many high end alloys.
I love Norton 4,000 and 8,000 stones.
My Shapton Pro water stones really do if for me on my A2 woodworking plane blades and high end Japanese laminated steel chisels which are White Paper #1 and Special Blue Steel
I just got a water stone from Gtitomatic for my Edge Pro Apex that is called their G8 8,000 it is a fantastic water stone for finishing and polishing an edge. It is Silicon Carbide so it works on many alloy steels.

Yes, depending on steel.
While not Japanese, I also enjoy my Belgian Blue and Coticule.
Actually I avoid diamond stones unless I am sharpening a high wear steel. Just don't enjoy the feel. However I'm considering getting a DMT extra extra fine.

Yes, depending on steel.
While not Japanese, I also enjoy my Belgian Blue and Coticule.
Actually I avoid diamond stones unless I am sharpening a high wear steel. Just don't enjoy the feel. However I'm considering getting a DMT extra extra fine.

Not into diamond stones either,

Yes. Yes I do. Nanawa Chosera/Professional in various grits from 400 to 12k do good service to all my knives.

On the lower alloy steels, absolutely love using waterstones.
Naniwa Pro 400
Shapton Pro 1000
Naniwa Green Brick 2000
King 4000 (silky smooth stone, love it)
Suehiro 8000 (silky smooth stone, love it)
Chinese 12000

Shapton Glass stones have sharpened any steel I've thrown at them; and although I'm not fond of the SUPER super steels to begin with, I feel they'd cut steels with quite a decently carbide-rich diet.

I use them on the 2 Japanese kitchen knives I have. 220 grit Norton, 1000 & 4000 grit King stones. Once they were rebeveled, I can usually start and finish with the 4000, though for fun I sometimes go to the 10,000 grit lapping film.

Back