sharpmaker reference in a book

I guess it may not be a sharpmaker, but in this book there is a sharpener that was triangular ceramic rods set into a table at an angle. I don't know if other manufacturers have the triangle rods. The book is "All Tomorrows Parties" by William Gibson. An assasin carries a tanto blade in a magnetic shoulder harness, and has a zen-like sharpening ritual.

Sounds familiar...
Gibson is the daddy of Cyberpunk, etc-
there's supposed to be a lot of knife content in that book.

------------------
Runs With Scissors
AKTI# A000107

Ah yes.. I just finished this book. William Gibson is either a knife nut or knows one or two that he got his info from. In addition to the aforementioned tanto and sharpening ritual, there is a ceramic switchblade, a specific reference to a Randall piece, and a description of a blade being forged from a motorcycle chain, ground to shape and handled with circuit-board scales. A couple of knife fights/kills too...

PS. In an earlier book, Virtual Light, Gibson describes a small ceramic-bladed folder with a wide, "spoon shaped" blade having a "fractal edge." I believe that it had an opening hole also. It sure sounded like a Spydie-inspired design to me...

PM

Back