Sharpmaker vs. Gatco/Lansky

edb

I have a Gatco sharpening kit which I've had decent success with sharpening folders, kitchen knifes, etc. I don't, however, see a way to sharpen anything with serrated edges or a reverse-S blade. It also seems a little slow sometimes (10 mins per knife).

I realize that the Sharpmaker ergonomics are such that I could use it to sharpen serrated edges and reverse-S blades, but aside from that, is it a fairly efficient (i.e. fast results) rig to use?

Other question: I've assumed that when they say "40 degrees" and "30 degrees", they mean "20 degrees per side" and "15 degrees per side" - is that accurate?

I think the best response is to have you understand that the Sharpmaker is a different animal for different purposes. The V sharpeners are quick and effective for edge maintenance. They aren't very good for grinding new bevels. That's where the Lansky will be a better choice. Perhaps the ideal thing is to own both. You can use the Lansky for bevel grinding and the Sharpmaker for quicker mainenance in between sharpenings. Makes sense to me. Yes, Spyderco measures the whole angle and Lansky measures the bevel angle. You have that right. Take care.

edb,

The Sharpmaker can take longer than the clamp systems for changing the angle of a blade, but sticking coarse sandpaper to the hones or buying the diamond sleeves speeds up the process a little bit. As you guessed, it's very versatile in what it can sharpen:

Straight blades
Recurves
Serrations
Hawkbills
Chisel grinds
potato peelers
nail clippers
lawnmower blades
chisels
planer blades
scissors
phillips and flathead screwdrivers

That puts it ahead of clamp and clamplike systems in versatility (and equal or barely ahead of stones, strops, and grinders), but you're limited to two angles (15 and 20 degrees) and less metal being removed than with other systems (which is a double-edged sword).

I use the Gatco to set the edge bevel and the Sharpmaker to sharpen it up and maintain the sharpness. I received the former as a birthday present and bought the Sharpmaker myself as it's quicker for routine maintenance. The Gatco can do it all especially if you have the serrated edge cutter included as I have.

Gee :) Thanks for all the responses. I'm not surprised to find out that there are fans of both, particularly because the Gatco rig allows for 5 different angle settings (the lack of which would seem to me a shortcoming of the Sharpmaker). Yet, the Sharpmaker has its advantages, too (speed of maintenance/touch-up work, etc.).

I'll have to look into that serrated edge cutter, Climb14er...

I remember that the Lanksy was cheap feeling? Also, how are the Lanksy and Edge Pro different?

If I were starting out and had some bucks to spend, I'd get the Edge Pro Apex with/without (depending on extra cash) stone upgrade and a Sharpmaker. That ought to do it for virtually most sharpening. I just happen to have had the Gatco first and while it's not as good looking, smooth or as accurate as the Edge Pro, it still does the job (well) on most sharpening needs.

Jerry S.

Originally posted by GarageBoy
Is the edge pro a clamp system?

Basically, with a rest instead of a clamp. Great if you want to change the blade profile or get multiple angles at different points on the blade. It also allows you to put a "polished edge" on with the use of the ultra fine stropping tape. It is much more involved than the Sharpmaker but great if you have OCD ;)

Originally posted by stjames
It is much more involved than the Sharpmaker but great if you have OCD

Which means that if you collect knives enough to frequent here, you really need an Edge Pro. The Apex model with upgrade kit at bare minimum. I know I did.

;)

All the systems have a learning curve to them. Once you learn the system and some basics on sharpening, you can get that perfect edge with any of them.

Back